Star Trek characters show you the proper way to pronounce Omicron

Originally published at: Star Trek characters show you the proper way to pronounce Omicron | Boing Boing

10 Likes

TV:DW; it appears to be pronounced “I’m a crumb”

4 Likes

That is oddly, correct.

4 Likes

Everything I learned about pronouncing omicron I learned from Futurama

20 Likes

I hope you learned to wear pants from somewhere else.

24 Likes

The "pants booster" is available to those in need.

giphy-4

14 Likes

I like this one

11 Likes

Now do one for “data”!

2 Likes

Preferably without the android-hating space bigots.

ETA: I could be misremembering but I think when she first came on board Pulaski even disrespected Data’s pronouns, initially referring to him “it” instead of “he.”

17 Likes

Good, that’s settled. Now let’s work on another longstanding dispute, “Uranus.”

1 Like

2hjaa6

12 Likes

What?

What?

The pronunciation of omicron has several variant forms acceptable in standard English. In American English, the primary stress is usually on the first syllable, pronounced as either a short \o\ as \AH-muh-krahn\ or a long \o\ as \OH-muh-krahn. In British English, the primary stress can also be heard on the second syllable: \oh-MYE-krahn.

Stephen Colbert Idk GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

2 Likes

Well that video will go viral…

badumm … tsss

1 Like

Yes, she does, she is corrected and awkwardly tries to change. The following Youtube essayist covers how she is a well written character.

3 Likes

Maybe if she’d been around for more than a single season the writers could have figured out how to tweak the Pulaski/Data relationship into the McCoy/Spock dynamic they seemed to be trying for. As it was she mostly just came off as an insensitive ass who constantly disrespected a senior officer.

4 Likes

The Spock/Bones dynamic worked better both because Vulcans clearly were superior to humans in the Galactic scheme of things, so Bones’ ribbing had a certain amount of “punching up” to it, and also because the open bigotry was commentary on similar behavior in the real world

By the '80s, respectable people couldn’t behave like that in a professional environment, so it didn’t work as satire anymore

4 Likes

No, no, no.
oh-MICE-ron, clearly.

She may have been the first person “cancelled” for that.

It’s the Omega variant you have to watch out for. :skull: