Does anyone out there know how to say omicron?

9 Likes

Seriously?

Oh-MEE-Cron.

(As part the of the induction process for my sorority, it was a requirement to be able to recite the Greek alphabet from memory, in under 22 seconds.)

9 Likes

I learned the greek alphabet for more nerdy reasons - so I could quickly identify which were the brightest stars in various constellations.

Your reason sounds a lot more fun though! I imagine both reasons involve a lot of late nights.

9 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:
(I fully intend to borrow this.)

3 Likes

As usual, Bowie beat us all to the punch by 30 years.

3 Likes

How is this a bad thing? I love it. I vote next time we base the variant names on Finnish Lakes:

finnish lakes

9 Likes

What is happening with that map? Why are there just names on different parts of a continuous body of water? They’re not even all straights or bays or anything. :confused:

4 Likes

I love a good pubic discussion.

Can Someone just tell me if futurama pronounced it correctly?

There are a few different common pronunciations. Futurama uses one. The AA-muh-kraan that Papasan quoted is another. It’s not actually wrong to put the stress on the second syllable either; oh-MY-kron is I think typical of British English, while people trying to sound more like actual Greek will say oh-MEE-kron like Melizmatic said.

You could blame that variation on it being Greek imported into English, but honestly, it’s not at all unusual for a word to have lots of variations in different dialects.

5 Likes

Killing Eve Television GIF by BBC America

Any guess I make would be laughable probably. Local variants for the same lake? There are a family of languages used in Finland too, so maybe that? I bow out and let the Finns Finnish.

8 Likes

“Perhaps common animal names or ice cream flavors would have made for a better nomenclature system.“

Tell me you see the world through English speaking without telling me you that you see the world through English.

2 Likes

I think futuramas pronunciation doesn’t particularly stress any syllable. Lhurr says something like oh-mih (as in myth) -cron. Definitely not oh-my-cron (akin to oh my god) or ahh-meh-cron

The Futurama pronunciation is OH-mih-kron with stress on the first syllable, although not dramatically so. I skipped writing that one out because you know what it sounds like. :slight_smile:

1 Like

By the time everybody has agreed on the pronunciation the next variant will be here.

3 Likes

The best Greek linguist that now exists does not understand Greek so well as a Grecian plowman did, or a Grecian milkmaid; and the same for the Latin, compared with a plowman or a milkmaid of the Romans; and with respect to pronunciation and idiom, not so well as the cows that she milked.

4 Likes

Also, I listened to the clip. Did I flinch at “Oh My Cron!” ? you bet I did.

Did I understand them just fine? Also you bet I did.

Tell me, do you people get often confused when they want to by tomatoes but can only find tomatoes?

2 Likes

Some of us might think we’re saying it this way but it comes out more like uh-mih-cron

I vote for Icelandic volcanoes.

5 Likes

I like the stressing of the “o” because that’s actually what it means – “little o” – as opposed to Omega (“big o”)

2 Likes