National Geographics teaches you how to shatter a car window with ease

Or a kryptonite lock. Best to use what I have to hand.

Some knives has a small point on the handle for glass breaking. For a long time I have thought about making a replacement part for my CRKT knife that would include a point for glass breaking as well as alter where the knife blade ā€œrestsā€ when closed, making it possible to open with only a flip of the wrist.

pretty funny, but people donā€™t steal car radios anymore. at least not in the US.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t believe you on this, but looked it up, and apparently itā€™s true (well, not 100% true, car radios DO get stolen still, but it is largely on the decline). And the reason for this? People arenā€™t buying as many aftermarket stereos. Because car manufacturers started putting good stereos in their cars. That is totally todayā€™s TIL (well, that and ā€œspeed boostersā€ for mirrorless cameras, but that is not pertinent to this conversation).

Also, yes, the fact that a rubber mallet canā€™t break a car window is not exactly proof to me that it is hard to break. But this is a silly pop science show, so Iā€™ll give them a pass.

Anecdata: a late 90ā€™s Honda Civic sunroof can be broken with the application of a 165lb, 6ā€™2" tall maleā€™s bottom. I know this becauseā€¦ a friend of mineā€¦ drunkenly jumped up on the roof of a car in a ā€œhow high can you jumpā€ dare, landing bottom first on the sunroof, only to immediately smash through the sunroof

2 Likes

6ā€™2" and 165lbs? Sounds like point loading to me. :wink:

It definitely was. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s why they call this, ā€œThe Olde Countryā€ :slight_smile:

They make ones that you can use as a keyring donā€™t they?

I dropped a coffee mug and the glass front of the stove across the kitchen disintegrated, The handle had broken off the mug. I found it in the shattered glass by the stove.

I assume this works equally well if you lob a broken porcelain toilet through the window as well?

1 Like

A key. Jab the window with a key.

Yes. Airgap it between yourself and the car window at least 6 inches, but no more than 4 feet.

2 Likes

Or you could use, you know, a fingerā€¦

2 Likes

The hammer they used to smash the spark plug I think had a claw side. But I agree with you otherwise.

It wasnā€™t a radio but last year my car was broken into and my satnav with way outdated 2008 info stolen. Before that, my car was broken into for my radio to be stolen back in 2006. I suppose it depends on where in the country you live.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.