Watch: Tesla's Cybertruck "Armor Glass" fail

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/22/watch-teslas-cybertruck-a.html

10 Likes

I like to think that there was a production assistant standing in the sidelines who passed a note to Elon right before the demo that the reinforced windows weren’t ready so they put in some plate glass for the show and then noticed in horror that Elon had never opened the note.

Then he brings out the guy with the metal ball and the assistant is all:

33 Likes

If i win the lottery tonight, I’ma buy one.

7 Likes
21 Likes

Yes, the window broke, but the metal ball did not go through; It bounced off, so the window succeeded in preventing penetration. From the “Failure method”, it seems their “Armor glass” is some form of laminate, like vehicle windshields.

10 Likes

Tesla has officially launched their first Aztec.

16 Likes

Obligatory:

20 Likes

Rolling with the “not in the script” - Steve Jobs and Bill Gates both had notable presentation failures.

5 Likes

before you go to far on this bend you might want to search federal regulations on windows and which are actually supposed to break. Windshields no…but side windows provide egress. Musk might want to show off a vehicle that seems impervious, but the federal regulators might have real requirements the truck needs to meet.

13 Likes

You’re probably right about that. Unbreakable windows could trap occupants in certain situations. It still makes me wonder why they chose that as a demonstration point though.

In addition, I’ve got to say that this truck is mind blowingly bad looking to me. It feels like a prop from a bad futuristic '80’s movie. That knife edged roofline ugh! I can imagine all the panels wiggling on the golf cart chassis below it lol.

19 Likes

They were clearly surprised and not happy in the moment, and then Musk said it didn’t break during testing.

So no, in this case it pretty clearly wasn’t an intentional break by design.

13 Likes

So they’re pitching something as ultra high tech, but it’s actually like what we currently have, only not as good.

Seems legit.

Actually, yes. Not even being sarcastic.

7 Likes

This is true. If I drop my phone and the shatterproof glass looks like that - it didn’t fail.

It just succeeded with style.

7 Likes

Found it!

Truckers in space!

22 Likes

The explanation I heard is that Teslas aren’t exactly drooled over by the pickup crowd, so they have to overcompensate on the toughness.

3 Likes

don’t want to watch:

running scared. 80’s movie. they are close to retiring so stop taking chances. get bullet proof glass and then the windows don’t roll down.

2 Likes

It absolutely does. It’s like someone cut and folded some sheet metal and stuck in on a chassis, the kind of thing a cheap '80s sci-fi movie would do. It’s like something that was too cheap and cheesy for Megaforce,The Last Starfighter, Trancers or Space Mutiny.

21 Likes

… or the Johnny Cab in Total Recall or this snow vehicle: https://66.media.tumblr.com/b797511b9c2bbf9128f2ffab50262d2f/tumblr_pgdj3hBGZU1xusffbo9_540.png

5 Likes

That went about as well as most of my live demos, which is to say, NOT AT ALL WELL

3 Likes

If you do, can I borrow it? I have a sudden desire to film my next great feature, “Megaforce II: The Quest for Water”, a low-budget post-apocalypse epic that will feature men and women with wonderful hair and white jumpsuits. It will have a soundtrack with all the synthesizers. It will be both radical and awesome to the max.

17 Likes