How to remove a common Amazon-bought car boot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/10/how-to-remove-a-common-amazon.html

5 Likes

Seems like only a short step up from opening those bike locks with a ballpoint pen.

7 Likes

The biggest crime is that hair cut.

18 Likes

Years ago I knew of a person who managed to get a boot off at the Tijuana border crossing paid lot with a sledgehammer. He never got into trouble for it either. Probably because he was military and both his driver’s license and vehicle was registered in another state.

2 Likes

It’s hard to reach that bit.

6 Likes

I can’t imagine how doing this hundreds of times hasn’t run him into someone with a gun.

Perhaps he watches the victims leave their cars first, so he knows not only that he has time, but that they aren’t likely to fight back.

11 Likes

His head is so filled with thoughts of scams that he forgot it was back there.

11 Likes

Seems like the biggest defence in this case is that there’s a stout yeoman of the gammon persuasion standing there waiting to pounce on you. If he’s willing to intimidate people out of money in an illegal booting operation, he’s surely willing to apply violence to people who take a screwdriver to his boot.

4 Likes

I am hoping this guy boots my car.

Of all the random shit I have bought at home depot for various dumb projects, which now lives in my trunk, I have lock cutters, sledgehammer and an axe.

Go ahead. Make my day.

Fucker.

14 Likes

I was a little confused at the headline because I didn’t think car trunks were replaceable without extensive work that should probably be done by a trained professional.

25 Likes

Looks like an angle grinder would make short work of it, too!

I’d go Sawzall with a diablo metal cutting blade, I’ve seen nothing stand up to it, ever.

15 Likes

Was kind of expecting there to be a “trick.”

Yes, lock picks continue to open locks.

6 Likes

Like this?

https://www.geek.com/angle-grinder-man/

3 Likes

I’m telling you, you can get anything on Amazon! Even a almost-perfect fitting replacement boot for your toilet tank! And they’ll ship it to you’re home…twice!

9 Likes

Would like to see the Lockpicking Lawyer remove the boot without having access to the circular lockpick, ideally something even more common that a regular person would have access to

8 Likes

Like C-4?

4 Likes

If the local Wal-Mart sells them, then sure!

Bonus points for destroying the boot while you’re disengaging it so he can’t use it anymore.

7 Likes

Remove it? Why bother

25 Likes

AIUI a Bic pen (or similar plastic cylinder) would work in place of the impressioning tool, as long as the diameter was right. It’s just forcing the pins in as far as they’ll go, recording the relative travel (either with the pins in the impressioning tool, or just in soft plastic), then backing them all off together until the cuts line up.

3 Likes