How to remove a common Amazon-bought car boot

They need to call Animal Control. There is a frightened woodland creature clinging for life on the back of his skull.

5 Likes

3 Likes

The sheet metal on the access door is so thin, and his screwdriver was pretty robust, I’d guess the lockpick was ultimately unnecessary. Might need a smaller flathead screwdriver to get a little purchase, but once the big screwdriver had entry, a good heave would bend that flimsy sheet metal enough to either disengage the lock or open up the wrapped-sheet metal hinge.

11 Likes

a. he has the right tool.
b. Bosnian Bill describes him “a gifted picker, probably in the top two or three that [he has] ever met.”

4 Likes

For Halloween he needs green face paint and a wise cracking donkey.

Stick it on his vehicle and add Loctite Red to the lock.

Protip: Make sure that he’s not there before doing this.

6 Likes

Or JB Weld the flat surface of the boot across the driver’s side window of his tow truck.

6 Likes

Angle grinder the heads off the rivets that hold it together & just let it fall apart.

2 Likes

This guy is bold trying it on his car lol.

I came here to say the same. Do they remove the bonnet as well?

4 Likes

2 Likes

He must’ve gotten one of those counterfeit boots that keep showing up on Amazon.

Seriously - you can buy a tire boot on Amazon?

As a hobbyist picker, it dawned on me pretty quickly how incredibly good LPL is. The videos are great, and I don’t regret the hobby, but boy he makes stuff feel so much easier than it actually is.

3 Likes

According to the presenter, the impressioning attack can be defeated by using springs of varying stiffness.

1 Like

This. An old-fashioned car tire-iron would probably work to lever the access door open in a pinch too. They also serve as a plausible, yet deniable self-defense item if they try to stop you.

3 Likes

The only time before this that I saw the Amazon-bought boots talked about in a comment section (not here, I don’t think) was someone suggesting getting one to put on your own car, tricking the legitimate booting authorities (whether govt. or the property owners, depending on the situation) into thinking that it was one of theirs (maybe placed by another shift?), and leaving it alone, then you could just unlock it when you leave

4 Likes

If one of these scammers tries this on your car apply the tire iron to his cranium, then take the key from him and unboot the vehicle.

Puts me in mind of a friend who was moving. The movers tried to extort an extra couple thousand from him and threatened to drive his stuff off and lock it up until he paid. He immediately sidewalled all the tires on one side and said “Not in this b***h you ain’t.” Good man.

1 Like

They’ll still ticket your vehicle though, so it’s not a huge win.

Funny, I just stumbled upon his videos a few days ago by chance and got hooked. He makes it seem so easy. Nothing on 1, nothing on 2, click on 3, yadda yadda yadda, we’re done. Makes me want to tinker with that stuff myself but I’d probably fail so hard.

Of course you will. That’s how it is with any new skill. But after a while you will start picking it up

2 Likes