Native Americans walk off set of latest Adam Sandler film

“And what’s wrong with Richie Rich owning a sexbot, anyway?”

That was a Paul Thomas Anderson movie.

3 Likes

The rule for compound verbs is they’re one word if it’s in the dictionary, otherwise hyphenated. I’d say you’re correct, because currently only the gerund form “crowdfunding” is in widely used.

The jokes (as described in other articles) sound beyond stupid. One of them was naming a Native American woman “No Bra,” which is brainless on so many levels.

1 Like

It would be a lot easier to “fix” if there were a script, but it’s a pretty big stretch to assume there is a script to be fixed.

1 Like

'Saw Buddy Hackett’s routine in Atlantic City. He was very very funny.

2 Likes

Yeah, one of the few Sandler films where he is not the auteur.

1 Like

Maybe, maybe it could have satirized the old stereotypes. But that would take some clever script writing, the one thing Adam Sandler movies never are.

Hey man I didn’t say I expected anything else. I’m actually surprised they even tried. I mean hiring a cultural advisor and actual Apache? Instead of just having Rob Schnieder play anyone even remotely brown?

Wouldn’t that just be a shittier version of Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

1 Like

Evidently here are some of the jokes:

2 Likes

It’s not a notable exemplar of the form. It meanders.

True. It’s odd that the nominal “open letter” is a short bit two thirds of the way through. It had some interesting bits, though.

That actually killed a few brain cells :persevere:

2 Likes

adam is a white man. ask chris rock. post-euro cultures have permitted and profited from family ridicule.

If they push ahead and make this, I hope this turd flops so hard the studio goes bankrupt.

2 Likes

Sandler has expensive tastes.

1 Like

Something something, Spherical Assholes look like assholes from any direction, something something.

So here’s the official statement from Netflix:

“It is a broad satire of Western movies and the stereotypes they popularized, featuring a diverse cast that is not only part of — but in on — the joke.”

I’m not sure how any of that even makes sense. For one thing, it’s clear that the “diverse cast” was most certainly NOT part of or in on the joke.

And why would anyone decide to make “a broad satire of Western movies” in 2015? Isn’t that normally the sort of thing you do with a genre that’s currently popular enough that contemporary audiences are actually familiar with its tropes and stereotypes? That’s why Mel Brooks made Blazing Saddles back in the 70s when the Spaghetti Western was still a big part of popular culture and why he didn’t wait 30 years after Return of the Jedi to make Spaceballs.

13 Likes

He’s headlined a (very) few movies that aren’t puerile idiocy, but they’re definitely the exceptions. Spanglish and Funny People come to mind. But with a title and premise like The Ridiculous 6, this was pretty obviously not going to be one of them.

I have to wonder, though, if any of the Indians’ objections ever even reached Sandler’s ears. It’s pretty easy to get unintentionally insulated at that level of fame & fortune — various layers of underlings see it as part of their jobs to make sure the star isn’t disturbed.

I bet he’s heard them now though.

1 Like

Yeah, Spanglish is one film of his that I’ve seen, and I quite liked it. But again, he was nowhere close to being the guiding force behind that film.