Nazi UFO toy model pulled from shelves

See my post regarding the question of spacesuits above.

1 Like

Ve come from ze Dark Side of ze Moooon!

4 Likes

“Adolf Galland rated the Spitfire so highly he told Goering ‘Give me a squadron of Spitfires’.” - Here’s a quote from his book The First And The Last:

“The theme of fighter protection was chewed over again and again. Goering clearly represented the point of view of the bombers and demanded close and rigid protection. The bomber, he said, was more important than record bag figures. I tried to point out that the Me109 was superior in the attack and not so suitable for purely defensive purposes as the Spitfire, which, although a little slower, was much more manoeuvrable. He rejected my objection. We received many more harsh words. Finally, as his time ran short, he grew more amiable and asked what were the requirements for our squadrons. Moelders asked for a series of Me109’s with more powerful engines. The request was granted. ‘And you ?’ Goering turned to me. I did not hesitate long. ‘I should like an outfit of Spitfires for my group.’ After blurting this out, I had rather a shock, for it was not really meant that way. Of course, fundamentally I preferred our Me109 to the Spitfire, but I was unbelievably vexed at the lack of understanding and the stubbornness with which the command gave us orders we could not execute - or only incompletely - as a result of many shortcomings for which we were not to blame. Such brazen-faced impudence made even Goering speechless. He stamped off, growling as he went.”

Source: http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/misc/myths1.htm

7 Likes

The Allies wouldn’t have won the Battle of Britain if it hadn’t been for Miss Tilly Shilling’s Orifice. :wink:

9 Likes

The Merlin is the essence of what engineering is about.

5 Likes

I thought I’d try to grab one just because it was discontinued and they are already well over $100.

2 Likes

Looking at those old fighter planes is like looking at vintage sports cars, they really were the sports cars of the air, made for speed and maneuverability.

5 Likes

With a truly orgasmic sound.

3 Likes

@generic_name, @euansmith - obligatory “why not both”

1 Like

The fact that Revell’s product’s description fails to mention the aircraft never existed is risky in that people who buy it might actually believe the Nazis possessed superior technologies,

1. Any one who thinks the Nazis had actual flying saucers will be sniffing glue and paint until they drool and the problem will sort itself out.

2. The whole fantastic prototype and fanciful “super weapons” some which never made it past doodles, are fun and interesting - just like any other “sci fi” design. I remember back in the day building a Soviet stealth fighter - not based on an actual plane - but an estimation of what one would look like given the known Soviet capabilities. While I suppose they should possibly spell out better this is a “what if” design, I think it is also a bit incredible to think one MUST spell this out. Next thing you will tell me that X-Wings aren’t real either, and Preparation H is not to be taken orally.

3. The Nazis did have superior technologies in some areas, and less superior than others. From a historical engineering standpoint, WWII had some amazing, awesome, and devastating advances in technology. Of course nothing like flying saucers, but still.

7 Likes

The first American Ace of WWII did it in a Spitfire.

Also, related:

2 Likes

Aside from the tendency to veer into territory about as accurate as Secret Soviet Tesla Science; that argument is a curious one to advance because "loses despite superior technology and materiel’ has always been a rather unglamorous look.

Having your proud martial spirit and honor and whatnot ultimately prove unequal to the industrial might and endless reserves of sallow, cowardly, wage slaves is, for whatever reason, an accepted proud warrior race guy thing to have happen(and ideally spend generations being resentful, but totally not in an untermench sort of way, about); but getting a technological marvel chewed up is a matter that tends to require a few executive level ‘resignations’ at the very least.

6 Likes

Goering also craved the Mosquito:

“In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I’m going to buy a British radio set - then at least I’ll own something that has always worked.”

Anyone who ever owned a 1970s British car might have a different opinion of our electrical expertise.

7 Likes

Nazi ufo you said ?

ironsky-ship

Let’s find out!

6 Likes

Iron Sky wasn’t a documentary from the future? :wink:

5 Likes

I believe it’s needed to support the secret moonbase

2 Likes

OH god that movie made my pinch the bridge of my nose so many times…

3 Likes

I love that movie! It was so amazingly terrible! Udo Kier is in it, and Laibach did the soundtrack! The special effects are terrible, as is much of the acting. What more do you need in a movie like that? It does exactly what it says on the label, giving you Nazis on the moon!

13 Likes

It was amazingly terrible - I just had trouble turning off the brain some times. I didn’t realize Laibach did the sound track. Maybe worth a rewatch.

3 Likes