Nazi UFO toy model pulled from shelves

Oh thank god; that movie is a piece of crap, I’m glad you like it for the proper reasons :smirk:

3 Likes

Yep. When I saw them on their last tour, when they played B-Maschina, it was with footage from Iron Sky in the background. I know what you mean about turning off the old brain. I have no problem with that on over the top rubbish films, though.

well, of course. My daddy raised me on a steady diet of crap cinema, so I have a proper appreciation of such things!

6 Likes

Parenting done right!
There used to be a TV show here in the UK where Alex Cox, of Repo Man fame, used to introduce schlocky/crappy classics. Still have a soft spot for “Teenage Mutant Comet Zombies”, or “Night of the Comet” as some know it.

6 Likes

Night of the Comet was terrible! I loved it! There were some great shows like that in the states, usually on local stations… One of the most well known ones was hosted by Elivira. When cable became a thing, some early cable networks had late night movie shows - Joe Bob’s Drive in Theater on TMC and USA’s Up All Night… Great stuff!

7 Likes

Ah, the Mistress of the Dark, she was on here too! Jealous of the rest, we only gained a 4th channel in 1984, cable tv was rarer than rocking horse poop :laughing:
Movie marathons were a rare treat and possibly explain my habit of late night movie watching.

5 Likes

Yeah, I think we got cable around 84 or 85, cause I grew up out in the sticks! It certainly opened up some cultural vistas for me as a kid that I would not have had access to otherwise. Probably explains why I hang out here!

Also, kids these days, don’t know how good they have it, with easy access to all sorts of culture at their fingertips! Luxury!

6 Likes

Absolutely true, but that phrase makes us sound old :joy:

3 Likes

Damn kids and their rock and roll (and netflix and hulu) can get off our damn lawns! :wink:

6 Likes

Shame on Revell for not making it clear that the kit is fictional, but this idea that an improperly-labeled Nazi UFO toy might materially aid actual Nazis seems several steps more ridiculous than “video games train children to kill.”

4 Likes

Someone here, can’t recall who, called YouTube the public access channel of the internet. :joy:

27tguj

5 Likes

I could listen to Spitfires and Mustangs do flybys for hours. Those Merlin engines are glorious. OTOH, a Corsair making a high-speed pass with its Double Wasp at Ware Emergency Power is pretty awesome as well, if a little less musical.</aircraft geekery>

For your listening pleasure.

3 Likes

I don’t personally care if they sell models of fictional Nazi superweapons (though it wouldn’t hurt to mention that a lot of these designs were presented to credulous Wehrmacht brass as a means to keep the engineers who submitted them off the front line for the duration of the war and had the bonus of effect of wasting German resources). But I do see a real danger in propagating the falsehood that they worked. Even in their statement agreeing to withdraw the model, the seller muddies the issue of its existence and status. That’s the kind of “alternative fact” that can distort history, and really is problematic.

4 Likes

What do you mean I have to WAIT for the show to come on??

2 Likes

… and because of having radar. Don’t forget that women operated the radar stations (constantly being bombed).

1 Like

And it was the Merlin engine that helped make the Mustang the air-superiority fighter that it was.

1 Like

I agree. The other thread here is having fun with Iron Sky and how awful it is… To speak against such fun sounds like concern trolling of the highest order.

Yet somehow Trump got elected prez. And it suddenly seems important to distinguish between satire and the sincere. An astonishing number of Americans don’t cope well with trash culture.

2 Likes

people are cashing in on the instant rarity. I wish I had a box to put there. sheesh, $1200+

I’m pretty sure it’s a modification of the original Revell molds from the flying saucer from The Invaders 1960’s TV series. The general proportions seem to be the same.

2 Likes

All Hail Lucas! The Prince of Eternal Darkness!

smoke

3 Likes

If you have MeTV the current incarnation of Svengoolie is doing an excellent job of carrying on the job of traditional horror host on Saturday nights.

5 Likes