NBA star presents stellar example of "How to support your LGBTQ+ child"

4 Likes

This morning at work, someone told me that California is restricting travel to Texas. I asked why, I asked if it was because of the anti-trans legislation. He hemmed and hawed, he said it was because of LGBT grumble grumble. I told him that it was specifically because of the anti-trans legislation and then I told him that trans isn’t a dirty word. He didn’t believe me. I only ask people to be brave. ALEC is drafting trans legislation and the states are trying to adopt it. A slight analogue might be, If we were talking about black people in the Jim Crow south, using the term POC would be problematic. I’m not trying to make a direct comparison, but I think it makes sense of what I’ve probably spent too many words explaining.

3 Likes

I get your point, but I don’t think Ellen in general speaks in euphemisms. She has been an open supporter of LGBTQ+ rights, indeed a pioneer of sorts.

Conversely, when people are talking about other people, they don’t need to constantly attach the label to a person they see every day, especially in casual conversation. It would honestly be weird if he referenced “his trans kid” in a conversation, because to him it is just his kid, Zaya, and her identity is so much more than just being trans.

Like if I talk about a gay friend, I just call them by their name, not “my gay friend, Jack”.

Now if you know of another article that seems to skirt the issue, then perhaps your point is more valid. I can see your point that issues are addressed indirectly vs directly. But on this case there is no article - there is a post with a video of two people conversing.

I’m speaking directly to the Boing Boing article about the interview.

The story is about his transgender child. There is nothing strange or wrong in mentioning that.

Being played up by the very same people who want all women in the home, barefoot, and pregnant. Good old divide-and-conquer.

I’m sorry, all I am seeing is:

In an interview with Ellen Degeneres, NBA player Dwyane Wade discussed how he and his wife support and empower their teenaged child Zaya.

That isn’t an article, that’s a quick synopsis of what the video is about.

Is there something else I am missing?

I did see this video linked on another site by Jezebel or one of the other Gawker family sites that had some additional analysis.

Being teenaged isn’t news. Everyone should support their teenaged child.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.