NBC News: Hunter Biden documents are work of fake "intelligence firm"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/30/abc-news-hunter-biden-documents-are-work-of-fake-intelligence-firm.html

10 Likes

I think you mean NBC News for attribution.

6 Likes

Tucker “I Lost My Compromat In the Mail” Carlson is having a no good, terrible, very bad week. Out of deference to him, because I know he’s a broken man, I will have to say no more.

23 Likes

Well, I’m sure we’ll see some real introspection from Tucker, Hannity, and the rest of the crew on this. I expect tonight they’ll all have a mea culpa ready to deliver and a monologue about how they’re chastened about jumping on this before it had been properly verified, and apologize to the Biden family.

Right?

21 Likes

Yeah, typical repugnigoon take on this. Do they admit the documents are fake? Nope, instead they try to play it off as if they are being merciful.

assholes…

20 Likes

9 Likes

@beschizza @orenwolf

4 Likes

But did he? I mean this BS story has stayed alive because of him. All he had to do was wave his hand in the shallows to muddy the waters for a just few more days.

17 Likes

Promoting this comically obvious fraud might have been too much even for Fox News.

Call me a cynic, but I believe the reason Fox News isn’t down for this particular smear is that they know the cause is already lost. If there was a chance this story could sway the election for Trump they’d be balls deep into it.

23 Likes

They don’t want to ‘pile on’ when a man is down? Seriously?

And let’s back it up one step further: in what way is Hunter Biden ‘down?’ The World Food Program, for whom he’d served as US chair, just won the Nobel Peace Prize. He kicked an addiction. He went to Yale Law. Served on the Board of Amtrak, with Kofi Annan, who later recruited him for the board of Burisma when that company was looking to clean up.

tl, dr: fuck you, Tucker.

47 Likes

there are PACs running commercials constantly in PA citing this phony report.

Don’t you think they should not be allowed to broadcast these lies?

19 Likes

It seems awfully like formal defamation. The kind you can sue for.

29 Likes

I think you’re right & this is essentially a no lose situation for Tucker et al. If Trump wins, they continue on as the official propaganda wing of an authoritarian regime. If Trump loses, they get to spend the next four years railing against the Communist takeover of the country and their audience might even increase. It’s the genius of the noise machine they’ve built.

Morally and ethically, they have no leg to stand on. Legally, there isn’t a mechanism to pull this shit unless they voluntarily do so.

If they were in on the fabrication, that’s a pretty big problem. The actual malice standard when it comes to public figures is a really, really high hurdle, but I’d put nothing past these fuckers in their active participation and knowledge of the falsity. It’s tough though, and even tougher when it’s put in political context.

13 Likes

“The most obvious tell was the irregular shape of the irises,” Thomas said.

Really? The most obvious tell wasn’t the fact that he’s wearing a watermelon rind?

13 Likes

Or at least privately send them a nice fruit basket and a thoughtful handwritten card.

2 Likes

don’t you think the tv stations could refuse to run it?

6 Likes

He successfully worked for someone who wasn’t his dad, a feat not accomplished by Trump or any of his children. Reality show personality is not working successfully at a profession, as when done “correctly” you end up being a reality show personality. It’s like being successful at being a serial killer or farting in an elevator, it’s making the world worse.

21 Likes

That’s part of the voluntary aspect. The stations could (and arguably should) refuse to run shit they have reason to believe is part of foreign election interference, at a minimum. But they can’t be forced.

7 Likes

once again money rears its ugly head on our elections. The same stations whose network news is reporting that the report is fabricated, are airing ads that tout the findings. Because they want the easy ad money.

6 Likes

Looks like Glenn Greenwald has destroyed whatever was left of his credibility buying into this nonsense too.

23 Likes