Nearly 27 million Americans lost their job-based health insurance in pandemic, study shows

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/13/nearly-27-million-americans-lo.html

3 Likes

But wait, isn’t employer-based insurance the reason we can’t have Medicare for all? I’m confused…

15 Likes

Perfect! American Exceptionalism at work.

5 Likes

But linking health insurance to one’s employer is otherwise a very sound idea. /s

8 Likes

But if we start giving everyone medical coverage and UBI who’s going to want to go back to work? :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I already don’t want to go back to work.

10 Likes

It’s amazing that anyone in the U.S. besides those who profit from it still defends this horrible system of health insurance. It’s embarrassing.

9 Likes

well… if enough people lose insurance, then the industry is already dead. no problem to switch to medicare for all.

i wonder how much this will raise the cost of insurance for everybody else

5 Likes

Yeah, liquidate the assets of rich. Their worst nightmare is to be middle class.

Me! Cause god I hate sitting around doing nothing. I enjoy my job, and I like the challenges it brings me. But if I don’t to stress money as much, I’d be a lot happier and likely more productive.

4 Likes

Hear hear. This would be the best outcome of a UBI. People would have the liberty to explore their actual passions and good works in their communities.

7 Likes

I wonder if our government will adjust how healthcare is handled to something more progressive and first world if enough people lose their insurance? Clearly 27 million isn’t enough.

It’s like Stockholm syndrome. Except, of course, people in Stockholm have (mainly) government funded medicine. Is that irony, or just sad?

If I had medical coverage that wasn’t tied to my job as well as UBI, I wouldn’t return to this job. Instead I would find something I enjoyed doing. As it is, I’m locked in until either I die or my company does.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.