Nebraska Supreme Court grants adoption to same-sex couple

Originally published at: Nebraska Supreme Court grants adoption to same-sex couple | Boing Boing

8 Likes

If we are dictionary lawyering, can I use the Scottish and Northern English definition of wife, which is just a synonym for woman? It’s the one I grew up with.

It’s good to see the Nebraska Supreme Court saw though all the bullshit.

21 Likes

It takes some real dedication to bigotry to cling to outdated dictionaries as a basis for legal decisions even after the Supreme Court has unambiguously affirmed a newer interpretation.

16 Likes

Surely an 18th century edition of the OED/King James Dictionary is what God intends modern Americans to use to understand words in a legal context?

/S obviously. “Original” intention is so blatantly intellectually dishonest it makes my blood boil. And even if it wasn’t, who could give a fuck what a bunch of genocidal slavers think now?

10 Likes

It essentially means “whatever narrow interpretation I decide to apply despite historical evidence to the contrary.”

7 Likes

Dixon County Judge Douglas Luebe

The greatest legal mind of the 19th century.

4 Likes

Ah, witness the beauty of conservatism…

We value children, unless it’s making sure that a child gets to stay with it’s loving parents who are even a legally sanctioned stable couple, and that said parents are legally approved to make important legal decisions for the child they’ve cared for from birth…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.