Need a cheap diffuser for your camera flash? Try a white balloon

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/31/need-a-cheap-diffuser-for-your.html

2 Likes

I’ve had good luck with a piece of styrofoam cup. More convenient to move around with than a balloon.

8 Likes

I usually just use a piece of paper. They are probably less effective than the balloon, but I am much more likely to find a piece of paper than I am to have an inflated white balloon on hand. thinking of it, I could usually find my actual diffuser easier than a white balloon. But, it is still a good tip to keep in mind.

4 Likes

ya, what @anon62122146 and @Max_Blancke said.

I usually use an unfolded paper napkin and then maybe double it over if necessary. If I’m somewhere without one available, I carry lens paper with my camera so i just use that in the same way.

4 Likes

I diffuse like a motherfucker.

3 Likes

I use a piece of bristol board that I painted with metalic gold watercolor. Been working well for six years so far.

5 Likes

These are the balloons that are normally $600, but available for a limited time at 95% off?

6 Likes

Ciggie packet or a Rizla was my go-to back in the day. :smiley:

3 Likes

Every STEM student should make a flash diffuser!

1 Like

Do different color balloons have a good effect?

3 Likes

I use a white plastic film container split down the side in those rare times I use a flash.

2 Likes

Would a condom work? Maybe then I could finally use them.

1 Like

I made a diffuser from a 4 litre milk container. Worked well. A bit of cutting and then taped to my flash head. Many arrangements are possible with just a milk container and tape.

2 Likes

hey man, I lol’d. how’s everything?

Bubblewrap can be useful, too.

But bouncing it with the black foamie thing is better

4 Likes

White plastic bag and a rubber band. Will lose more air than a balloon, but is hands free and can be shaped.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.