Plazmatic Flameless Lighter: Who needs a light, when you've got a beam

[Read the post]

1 Like

“Heat beam”? What could that be? Infra-red? Laser? Particle beam?

I’ve seen this lighter advertised elsewhere, and there’s never more information than this. How does this thing work?

3 Likes

looks like an electric arc

– eta: does the embedded iframe work?

eta 2: nope, does not.

3 Likes

Yep, electric arc. Which is plasma, because it’s superheated atmosphere you’re seeing between the 'trodes.

4 Likes

I’m not a smoker but I use a disposable lighter a lot. Particularly for melting cut ends of nylon rope and paracord. That can be difficult to do on a boat in windy conditions. Would this lighter work for that type of application?

3 Likes

Prolly. Isn’t plasma, like, 20,000F?

2 Likes

Seems that spark gap produces non-negligible amounts of O3.

1 Like

It couldn’t be producing THAT much ozone, could it?

2 Likes

Reviewers say it’s enough to smell. Probably not enough to do any harm though.

4 Likes

If it’s producing a amount that you could smell that would make me nervous, but then again I am a nervous nelly. For now I’ll stick to lighting my completely legal Oregon weed with my high powered lazr gun.

EDIT:
Seems BB already covered something akin to that though, and it looks quite a bit more convenient, take a peak. Why light up with plasma when you can light up with laser?

2 Likes

Wendy O. Williams died for this?

5 Likes

But does it tell time?

4 Likes

Use as a stun gun Tazer too?

1 Like

Can’t seem to get to any part of the store where I could actually, like buy this. Not sure if it’s the store, or Firefox.

1 Like

Sssshhh!! Don’t tell them

3 Likes

What about a power source for a microwelder? If an argon atmosphere is added, could it be used for 3d printing from steel wires?

1 Like

Amateurs. I use concentrated radiation from a thermonuclear reaction.

14 Likes

Cute. But doesn’t work at night. Unless you blast a nuke within a line of sight, close enough to use the fireball radiation. (Or light up and boilover a large oil tank. Or create large, incandescent, intensely heat-radiating surface in any other way.)

What about using a little piece of plutonium-238 to heat up an igniter plate? A 10 gram piece will make almost 6 watts of power. With thermal insulation it could build up the heat to red hot easily, and then ignition of the cigarette is not a problem.

…now, how to make industrially useful amounts of Pu-238 in a user-friendly way?

6 Likes

This is a thing that has been done.

10 Likes