Need emergency breathable air? Light an oxygen candle, but beware, it's hot!

Originally published at: Need emergency breathable air? Light an oxygen candle, but beware, it's hot! | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Also what supplies emergency oxygen to the drop-down masks on a plane.

14 Likes

Sadly I didn’t see any of these for sale in the BoingBoing shop. Are they coming soon? Definitely something I want to get for my mutant backpack.

11 Likes

What if I’m just low on salt?

6 Likes

Of course in a sealed environment, excess CO2 will kill you before a lack of oxygen.

5 Likes

…or combined with the heat, oxygen to cause emergencies.

3 Likes

Also in a mine you also have to worry about superfine airborne particulates igniting and exploding. So having an oxygen candle might be lifesaving, there’s a potential danger that it could cause an explosion

4 Likes

mel brooks q GIF

7 Likes

Ooh!

SmarterEveryDay did a video on Submarines, and they have something very similar to this onboard! (video forwarded to start of clip)

7 Likes

Apollo carried these as well, just in case. But as @simonize said, excess CO2 will kill you long before insufficient oxygen will. Apollo also carried a lot of spare scrubbers for the this reason (though famously, not all the same size :joy:)

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.