Neil DeGrasse Tyson accused of rape and sexual harassment by 4 women

Though in all fairness, what can you expect from BuzzFeed news?

e10a1a2a2bddd14d185830d9eb1eed2b|nullxnull

11 Likes

not to trivialize any of this because RAPE is pretty effing damn serious and prisionable but following someones tattoos to “find pluto” is not rape, it’s very very wrong and needs to be shamed and a price paid but it’s not rape

there is an investigation so let’s see if the investigation finds anything about the rape because if so, he’s done and it will break my heart

3 Likes

None of us have any idea how many rapists and sexual assault survivors we meet in real life. The only thing I am sure of is that it is a lot, a lot more than we would think.

I suspect your second hypothesis is a lot closer to the reality of things sadly.

I am glad it seems Tyson’s run of screwing up women’s lives and/or careers is coming to an end.

Have no heroes.

7 Likes

world’s most memed living scientist would be more accurate.

3 Likes

That is fucking heart breaking.

6 Likes

besides from the slightly misleading headline, you could at least link to tysons statement too, xeni, seriously:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/neil-degrasse-tyson/on-being-accused/10156870826326613/

and no, I am not picking sides (yet), but as an affected person myself (was fucked by older women between 13-16 and being myself accused of sexual harassment at 43 in front of other people and my friends by a nutty american woman who couldnt accept my rejection of her), I am still wondering, why the asia argento story on the other hand wasnt mentioned with one word at all here at BB.

8 Likes

Probably more like a quarter of total humanity, but that quarter is very very prolific.

3 Likes

There’s always

Leonard Nimoy
Ian McKellen
Barack Obama
Jimmy Carter

4 Likes

Amongst my small circle of friends, we’re reserving this elevated status for whoever ran Laser Floyd and Laser Zeppelin at the Toronto Planetarium back in 1983.

12 Likes

His hayden CV listed his last paper as this one from 2008, with AMNH as his institutional affiliation.
The Faint-End Slopes of Galaxy Luminosity Functions in the COSMOS Field

I have alternatives to NDT. The perimeter institutes youtube channel is where I found some of them.

2 Likes

He’s a climate change denier. So is David Bellamy, who also believes in homeopathy.

6 Likes

Most of the people interviewed lamented the prospect that damaging allegations might take down the world’s most famous living scientist — and perhaps the most famous black scientist in history — beloved for eviscerating so many of the stereotypes of the stuffy, out-of-touch academic

And? If the allegations are true then we need to do right by those women, not the abuser. There are also other great science educators that are doing very good work. Tyson is not the end all be all.

13 Likes

The American equivalent to Brian Cox (the astrophysicist not the actor) who the BBC use for anything vaguely science related.

Nice guy, great teacher and unquestionably an expert in his field - but that doesn’t include, for instance, evolution and genetics.

1 Like

I like this guy but name dropping Nat Geo and History channel these days is like saying he’s been on the National Enquirer

7 Likes

Leonard Nimoy is still dead isn’t he?

4 Likes

For those whose list of appropriate male role models is getting thin, don’t forget about Alan Turing.

With regards to Mr Tyson, I hope the accusations are erroneous and fear that they are not. I’m also sensitive the the issue of women falsely accusing black men of rape. Society hasn’t come so far as we may wish and women who have had interracial relationships have seen their lives destroyed for it. This makes the possibility of a false report something we have to consider which is not to say I would discount any of these reports out of hand. Such a sad state of affairs but a process our society needs to go through and one I’m proud to see our nation finally tackle.

3 Likes

All my heroes are dead.

1 Like

Keanu Reeves, Neil Gaiman, Patrick Stewart, my dad.

Pretty confident in these four.

6 Likes