Neil DeGrasse Tyson accused of rape and sexual harassment by 4 women

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/05/neil-degrasse-tyson.html

3 Likes

So this brings my list of still-living male role models who haven’t been accused of sexual harassment or rape down to:
Patrick Stewart
Mr. T

Shit, is that it?

God damn you, Neil.

20 Likes

I haven’t googled it, but:

Joe Satriani
Richard Garriott
Mick Foley
Frank Zappa

1 Like

Just not Tom Hanks, just not Tom Hanks, just not To… what?
There are accusations there too?
They don’t seem particularly credible, but dang man.

sigh

Maybe that Captain Pickard spin-off is just what we need…

1 Like

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

12 Likes

Well, certainly world’s self-promotingest living scientist. I think he took that title from Michio Kaku in 2016.

20 Likes

Sagan: “The universe is a wondrous place.”

Tyson: “The universe is a wondrous place, you idiots.”

He was never the heir.

25 Likes

Fuck, fucking fucker’s fuckedly fucked.

11 Likes

Noam Chomsky?

Bernie Sanders?

… ?

6 Likes

Hate to break it to you…

13 Likes

I may be exaggerating a bit. There’s always Professor Poliakoff, he’s even a scientist!
2017-02-15_MartynPoliakoff_speaker_370x370
But even so, I’m glad there are plenty of role models who are women or dead people- the former especially. “The Future is Female” sounds way better than “The Future is Dead”.

12 Likes

“Most famous scientist” is a stretch.

He’s not famous for astrophysics research. He’s famous for running a planetarium.

“Most famous planetarium director”? Yes definitely.

13 Likes

What are you saying about Sir David Attenborough? I’ll fite you

7 Likes

Who?

I seriously have no idea, and need more characters to express my bewilderment since Discourse wants nine at least.

Also, I could ask Google, but since you told me about self promotion, I’m not going to.

1 Like

This guy

Brought in to be the physics expert on over a dozen Nat Geo and History Channel specials on string theory.

8 Likes

I would also say that Neil DeGrasse Tyson is maybe famous in America, like Bill Nye or even the sainted Mr Rogers; living in the UK, I’d never heard of them until recently.

Whenever people mention Bill Nye, I imagine they are talking about this guy…

@AnonyMouse I’ve still got my fingers crossed that Johnny Ball has no skeleton’s in his closet.

10 Likes

As a hetero male, I’m starting to despise hetero males. You guys need to listen to Aretha more often…

10 Likes

I have a slight hope it’s mainly famous males. That the same overdose of testosteron that allows them to become famous is the underlying case. Or maybe the fame/power corrupts them? It would allow for the total disconnect between the amount of rapists read about in famous circles and the much lower amount I seem to meet in real life (both rapists and victims). Or it could be that half of humanity is not to be trusted and only the famous ones get called out for it, which is a very depressing thought.

Urg.

5 Likes

This headline is so problematic in so many ways. He hasn’t been “accused of rape and sexual harassment by 4 women”, he’s been accused of rape by 1 and sexual harassment by 3. Yes, it matters. If someone sees only the headline, they get a false impression of the situation. No, I’m not justifying NDT or taking any side at all in this comment. I wouldn’t water down my point like that. Just, your headline is dishonest. You should change it.

28 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

As a kind of real physics and computer science graduate with at least a cursory overview, I beg to ROTFL. :smiley: