Nerding out over sci-fi spaceship designs at the Spacedock

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/22/nerding-out-over-sci-fi-spaces.html

6 Likes

Interesting, and obviously a labor of love. However the site treats s-f spaceship design as if it began in the mid-1960s. The quest for cool-looking spaceships goes back to the 1920s and beyond. Setting aside balloons and such, we had a craze for bolt-and-rivet ships in the early pulps, which evolved into the phallic multi-tube rockets of the 30s and 40s. The 50s brought finned needle-nosed ships typified by Wallace Wood’s chrome marvels, as well as Ron Turner’s intricate designs in the Rick Random comics. And don’t forget the 1970s fad for multi-colored slug-like ships from Chris Foss and his paperback-cover contemporaries. So many spaceships! So little time!

11 Likes

Don’t fret. Time moves strangely in the Warp.

5 Likes

Quite a bit beyond…

From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne

Though the channel seems focused primarily on cinematic spaceships.

10 Likes

That was one in the eye for moon rockets…

9 Likes

That’s how I approach buying wine.

1 Like

Should I be nuts for believing that the space station in 2001: A Space Odyssey, should have made the top five? I mean… c’mon! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

LOVE that channel! Spent many a late night down that particular rabbit hole of the intertubes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.