Netflix silently releases new Takashi Miike film Lumberjack the Monster

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/05/netflix-silently-releases-new-takashi-miike-film-lumberjack-the-monster.html

2 Likes

I’m wondering if this got bigger hype in it’s home market vs. here in the states?

It was released here in theaters on December 1, and it bombed in theaters. It’s ranked fourth in Japan on Netflix now, but they just got the rights to it, so it shows up on the newly added list.

The name Takashi Miike doesn’t carry the weight that it once did. I did see a lot of ads for his latest movie, an adaptation of Osamu Tezuka’s Midnight, over the past few months. But the ads were by Apple and were touting the fact that the movie was filmed entirely on an iPhone 15 Pro more than that it was directed by Takashi Miike. And it’s apparently only 19 minutes long.

Well, that probably explains why Netflix isn’t hyping it… but it’s got all the earmarks of a cult classic.

3 Likes

Yeah, his career has been all over the place lately (seriously, check out IMDB for the past decade), so it really is good to see him come back to horror.

2 Likes

And no link to either Netflix or the trailer?

1 Like

Huh, it’s on Netflix over here as well.

:woman_shrugging:

Yeah, that one. I saw the ad for that on TV every hour or so during primetime in the lead up to the iPhone launch.

I look at the list of new shows/movies coming to Netflix in the month before, sticking anything promising into my watch list for later scrutiny to see if it’s worth watching. Which also means I tend to ignore their promotional efforts and am largely unaware of them. So I was a little surprised when I realized I had a Takashi Miike film in my watch list, but I’m more surprised it was released without any noise. But it’s Netflix, so I’m not that surprised.

Yeesh, no kidding. Looks like he’s been kept busy with directing episodes of various (Something) x Heroine (Something) tv series (which I assume - hope - are kids’ shows).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.