Netflix stock plummets 35% after fall in number of users

IN/FROM. Same difference.

2 Likes

How Bout Both GIF by Joey Bada$$

2 Likes

Maybe you have to use some adapter cable for the USB port…

2 Likes
13 Likes

Elon Musk said words today, something about Netflix failing because of the woke mind virus.

No idea what the heck he was talking about.

And zip disks, I had about 20 of them, they all got backed up to CDs years ago and then copied to hard drives. Mostly shareware and software, that may or may not have been purchased properly, and the cracks for them, and various other files I can’t bring myself to delete. It will give my kid something to do in her grief stricken state when I kick.

5 Likes

I mean, didn’t they see a huge spike at the beginning of the pandemic? I really like how much they have innovated in the past - including many things in tech - quite a bit of it open sourced and part of the Spring suite of tools or the Simian Army; it’s a real shame that being publicly traded means you have to keep seeking increase in profit, quarter after quarter, year after year, and as someone said, there are only so many users out there. It’s so old fashioned to merely offer a product that people like and use…{insert something from Douglas Rushkoff here…}

Also: I’m annoyed AF that they canceled Archive 81. There are some people in my household that like dreck like “Is it Cake?” and I had to grin and bear and watch it with them, so I won’t dunk on that tooo much, but why couldn’t they keep stuff like Archive 81 instead of nearly always cancelling so many shows that have a great first run AND letting something like “Is It Cake?” to help fund it, arrrrrrgh.

Oh, and the geniuses out there saying “go woke, go broke” - what on Earth are they even talking about? It might be another one of those things where the gatekeepers of Twitter Opinion/Acela corridor dinner party/NYT circuit and so on have declared that Netflix is “too woke” for some reason, and I just missed it because I take the opinion that the Twitter bubble is about as real as Hollywood gossip and the Fox/OAN nexus…

1 Like

I’m assuming Severance?

2 Likes

Maybe the early days of the pandemic were a perfect storm of “growth” for Netflix and there won’t be another one in our lifetime?

5 Likes

I suspect if they push too hard, it will just drive more people to things like Jellyfin/Plex/Kodi.

And yes, I well remember the days of all the copyright protection schemes. I think it became a challenge that many took up to then provide patches and counter-schemes, that was more an end unto itself rather than playing the games themselves. And yes, there was only so much disposable income and every copy was most definitely not a lost sale.

3 Likes

Hulu does exactly that yet still somehow manages to survive. I can’t fathom who would voluntarily put up with ads on a paid streaming service, but apparently they exist. Presumably the same customers that make video games featuring microtransactions, pay-to-win and day one DLC a viable business model. If customers don’t bother to have standards, businesses will exploit them as far as they possibly can.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s the insane part. They are “failing” only in the sense that their user base has plateaued in a competition-heavy market, but they are still the biggest streaming service in town with several times as many subscribers as most of their competitors. If that’s what a failing business looks like then it’s just more proof that capitalism is fundamentally broken.

9 Likes

Unfortunately it looks like they’re turning off the money faucet for the “throw a bunch of spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks” approach. A real shame considering how much they’ve been doing for TV animation over the last several years.

7 Likes

What? Speak up, female - I can’t hear you with my manly tanned Man EarsTM!

7 Likes

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

:rofl:

13 Likes

Ugh. For a company that owes its existence to the long tail, they don’t seem to understand it anymore. Their animation is one of the only reasons we still have Netflix. If they stop making new, quality series, we’ll have one less reason to continue subscribing.

We’ve already gone through most of their animation catalog that we’re interested in watching, and coming towards the end of the sci-fi, dramas, and movies we want to see, too.

With the pandemic moving towards endemic, and restrictions lifting, if Netflix doesn’t produce the kind of shows we want to watch (they aren’t), we’ll soon be ending that subscription, which will leave us only with Disney+. That will last maybe another 5 years, then we’ll be a “No TV” household again.

7 Likes

Due to all this buzz about NF we’ve evaluated our watching habits and cancelled NF and Hulu.

Wake me when they are relevant again.

Absolutely. Torrenting and VPNs have only gotten easier in the years since all this started. These streaming companies had better realize that that is their real competition. It won’t take much to push people to Popcorn and Pirate Bay and all the others. The streaming world has reached a point where, to watch all the shows your friends are talking about, you have to subscribe to ten different services. It would 2-3x what we used to pay for cable. Nobody is going to do that.

9 Likes

This. They have been slipping away from that for some time. They’ve become notorious for killing all their good series after two or three “seasons”. I signed up for Netflix originally because their DVD catalog had all the weird documentaries, complete '90s TV show runs and other deep-cut stuff I couldn’t find anywhere else. I loved it! Then they forked off the DVD service and I lost access to it all because they didn’t have any of it on their own streaming network. They could get it all- it’s mostly weird indie and public domain stuff, but they don’t seem interested in doing so.

9 Likes

Wow then they are cutting literally the only thing that might have brought me in as a customer. Damn it though. I dunno about anyone else, but I do not want or need another morbid docuseries in my life

7 Likes

Yup. I’m happy to pay for streaming services if they’re giving me what I want to watch and I feel like I’m getting value for money, and several are (Criterion and Mubi, I’m looking at you). If not, well, I’m gonna watch what I want to watch, one way or another. It’s up to the streaming channels whether they want to get paid for it. Their choice.

3 Likes