Netflix's Wednesday broke Stranger Things watch record

Originally published at: Netflix's Wednesday broke Stranger Things watch record | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Loved this show from the very beginning. My wife is Mexican and it’s just so great to see all the Mexican references. Well done Netflix.

15 Likes

Agreed! It was a pretty decent and entertaining show and a fun bit of fantasy after T-Giving. They did a great job casting as well.

I can’t enough of Wednesday’s dance sequence during the school dance. Great song (The Cramps) and amazing choreography. They even snuck in the original Wednesday’s dance from the 60’s TV show although you might miss it if you blink.

12 Likes

The Jenny Ortega-led series features the eponymous Wednesday Addams alongside Luis Guzmán’s comic strip accurate Gomez Addams and Catherine Zeta-Jones’ Morticia.

*Jenna Ortega

Luis Guzman is one of those guys that’s been in so many things. Kind of reminds of James Hong - he’s “that guy, I know him!”

8 Likes

Yes! It’s nice to see Guzman get bigger roles but he’s done so many bit parts I wish he’d been included in this:

3 Likes

Meh. I felt they phoned it in by making the other students generic monsters like werewolves[1] and vampires instead of them all being kooky in their own way. They basically copy-pasted Monster High and called it a day.

[1]And I never understood why people would be ok with messing with werewolves and vampires, in this, and other programs. You know these are beings that are capable of killing you dead and instead of keeping a safe distance and letting them be, everyone seems to be actively irritating them.

2 Likes

It’s a wonderful series, and as much because the lead was so perfect for the role as any other reason. I’m not sure any version of Gomez or Morticia will surpass Raul Julia and Anjelica Huston, but the show is about Wednesday, so that didn’t matter as much. Plus Pugsley was perfect, uncle Fester was excellent, and her roommate, Enid, was the rainbow of joy to Wednesday’s dark cloud of cynicism.

She apparently took a lot of that from Siouxsie and the Banshee videos, combined with Fosse movies. Really was perfect for Wednesday, as was the cello playing (she apparently took actually lessons to make it look and feel as authentic as possible).

11 Likes

Ahem. John Astin and Carolyn Jones, you mean.

8 Likes

gomez-addams

6 Likes

Broke my ‘wait until netflix orders a second season before watching it’ rule for this.

4 Likes

I loved both previous versions of Gomez but Guzman probably looks the most like the original cartoons of any of the live action actors. Ha.

8 Likes

I really loved the show. Actually I was somewhat surprised by that. The mystery in a magic boarding school has been done to death. For example, Fate - The Winx Saga, also on Netflix, is the exact same show in many ways, except shit. But this time they made it work.

Of course a big part of that is the great cast. Especially Ortega is perfect.

7 Likes

Narrator: They won’t.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That said, I really enjoyed this series; Jenna Ortega was pitch perfect in the role, and having Christina Ricci as a supporting character was a bit of brilliant casting.

11 Likes

She’s always fantastic! I wish she was in more!

6 Likes

Yep, have to agree with you, he does.

1 Like

We’re just about done watching “Yellowjackets”. She is really good in that.

4 Likes

That has been on my radar for a bit, and just have not gotten around to it…

4 Likes

I like the show, but I do keep getting thrown by the disconnect between the Adams family “death and murder, lol - I like things that are terrible” attitude and how that attitude doesn’t carry over into their actual interactions (e.g. her mother as a teen being upset by a death of someone she didn’t even like; a family member accused of murder is simultaneously a bad and a good thing). Sometimes it feels like elements of this were originally written for other, more generic, characters, but other times it seems like an attempt to actually make the characters relatable (because otherwise the psychology of being these jokey monsters, would make them, well… actual monsters - mentally alien psychopaths). It makes the Adams feel their personas are complete lies - and I’m not sure that’s what I’m supposed to take away from it. Also the show itself swings wildly back and forth between a cartoonish, “I am blasély swinging this axe at your head, lolz” and realistic “Oh no, it’s terrible - someone swung an axe at their head, and they got cut!” which is disconcerting. It’s like a Bugs Bunny cartoon where occasionally a shotgun blast to the face doesn’t leave a black mark, but a gruesome decapitation, instead.

10 Likes

I enjoyed the Yellowjackets, it was a nice blend of mystery and horror.

2 Likes

I’d argue that the only reason this exists is because of Melissa Hunter’s absolutely glorious Youtube series ‘Adult Wednesday Addams’
She showed us what was possible. They took it, added vanilla and Tim Burton.

8 Likes