Netherlands disqualified from Eurovision song contest after mysterious backstage incident

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/11/netherlands-disqualified-from-eurovision-song-contest-after-mysterious-backstage-incident.html

6 Likes

Always vaguely surprised who’s allowed to enter Eurovision and who isn’t. (“Israel is part of Europe now?”) But that’s just a foolish antiquated attitude about ‘etymology’ - as even Russia now has an entry. wikipedia

(it’s more of a ‘No Western Hemisphere’ club …plus no China, Korea (which likely could really bring it), India, and Japan)

9 Likes

I suspect Putin will be exercising a lot more control over who represents Russia in the contest going forward ever since the fallout from Little Big.

11 Likes

If what I’m reading online is accurate, the Dutch entrant was being hassled by camera crew, and the EBU is reacting to his response,

I thought Eurovision would be less chaotic after last year’s voting drama, but everything is kicking off this year

9 Likes

Always vaguely surprised who’s allowed to enter Eurovision and who isn’t. (“Israel is part of Europe now?”) But that’s just a foolish antiquated attitude about ‘etymology’ - as even Russia now has an entry.

If you read the article you linked you’ll find out :slight_smile:
Europe != European Union != European Broadcasting Union

I’m more surprised that the USA keeps calling that bilateral sporting event the “World Series” :sweat_smile:

19 Likes

It’s the same in football. Israel are a member of UEFA, they joined after several years of problems in the AFC where other teams would forfeit games instead of play against them. This includes the time when they qualified for the World Cup without playing a single game, although FIFA weren’t having it and made them go into a play off with lucky loser Wales (Israel lost).

There’s probably a similar thing going on with the EBU, although it killed their plans to include other non-European Mediterranean countries.

10 Likes

Sexy Sax Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

4 Likes

Meh… Gimme the classics…

Excuse me while I change into my velour top and white jeans…

4 Likes

Why wouldn’t Russia be considered part of Europe? Most of it may be in Asia but it’s a huge country, and a good portion of it, including all of Kaliningrad Oblast, is firmly within the European continent. Kalingrad is surrounded by E.U. member states.

8 Likes

Now Australia on the other hand. Not really got a lot of geographic association with Europe.

5 Likes

No, but it’s a settler colony…

5 Likes

That can explain Israel too but not Morocco.

6 Likes

Community GIF

It’s almost like the concept of “Europe” is amorphous and based in ideology… but that can’t be true…

13 Likes

All in all, maybe we dodged a bullet when we didn’t win last year. Having this whole mess in Helsinki wouldn’t have been fun.

6 Likes

Baseball’s World Series was originally sponsored and presented by a newspaper called The World.

13 Likes

I hope “The World” reported news from more countries.

4 Likes

It stands to reason that a small, local paper fulla small, local stories would not have the $$$ and other resources to put on such a show.

3 Likes

Russia has been banned since 2022. Pro-Palestinian campaigners wonder why Israel can’t be banned as well.

13 Likes

Lol about Korea really bringing it, they might win literally 70+% of the time :slight_smile:

5 Likes

They were grandfathered in as former participants in the Pangeavision Song Contest…

12 Likes