Netherlands disqualified from Eurovision song contest after mysterious backstage incident

Don’t threaten people at an event you are representing our country.
If you don’t want to filmed don’t go to the Eurovision contest.
He’s 26, so a grown ass man, act like it.

Ah yes. The don’t threaten people rule.

Does that apply to everyone or is it selective?

6 Likes

That’s different… Bambie uses the dreaded PRONOUNS so they’re fair game!!! /s

2 Likes

It’s the line “contravened the non-political nature of the event” that makes me laugh out loud.

2 Likes

But Morocco owned a big chunk of Europe back in the day so that could be a good reason.

Unlike Moroccan Oil which sponsors the Eurovision which I believe is an Israeli company.

https://eurovision.moroccanoil.com/

4 Likes

It would have also played havoc with my vacation. Though I suppose we would have known in advance not to go this last week.

1 Like

According to the rules, whether a country gets to participate depends mainly on whether the TV station that is organising the participation is a member in good standing of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU). In particular, at least in theory that means its work must be built on basic journalistic principles. If that station is a bona-fide independent media organisation, everything is fine – if it is a propaganda mouthpiece under the tight control of its country’s government, that’s bad, and EBU doesn’t want that.

The Israeli broadcaster, KAN, for all the reprehensible behaviour of the Netanjahu coalition government, remains a reasonably independent media outlet as far as the EBU is concerned, so there’s no problem in principle with them sending a participant to the contest. OTOH, the state broadcaster of Belarus was kicked out of the EBU in 2021 because it flunked the independence test. Russia’s state broadcaster was disinvited from the 2022 contest over concerns about its independence and left the EBU of its own accord later that year.

As far as some of the more autocratic-leaning countries with ties to the EBU go, Hungary proactively hasn’t wanted to participate in the ESC for some years now, allegedly because of the LGBT-friendly nature of the contest (this year’s winning entry would probably give Orbán and friends apoplexy), so the free-broadcaster question doesn’t even arise. With Turkiye, the situation seems to be similar.

Of course, there are all sorts of politics going on at the same time that keep various countries from participating. Money is often a concern, especially for some of the tiny or economically struggling countries, and some countries (like the principality of Liechtenstein) aren’t even EBU members to begin with and are thus barred from taking part.

13 Likes

Thanks for the clear explanation. Interesting tidbit about Liechtenstein.

1 Like

Thanks. I was aware that this is the reasning but didn’t have time to go digging for links that would explain it.

1 Like

Well, I think it has to do with how it started, being a sort of broadcasting experiment, to see how far the signal could reach. Participant countries needed to be able to receive the broadcast from the central studio and deliver to the homes in real time. Trivial now, but in the 50’s not so much.

Nowadays as they point out, to participate in eurovision, you need to be in the EBU, and funilly enough that includes places like australia, US, india or china.

And for example, Russia was not “expelled from eurovision”, it was expelled from the EBU entirely. Which means of course they cannot participate in eurovision, but also they lose access to the shared rights negotiation for the FIFA and other things that matter to us europeans :smiley:

ETA: I just noticed @Anselm has provided a much better explanation than me.

5 Likes

Morocco was a french colony in the 50’s and was part of the original european broadcast area.

1 Like

I assume that this is just a language barrier thing; but I cannot read “AVROTROS finds the disqualification disproportionate” as anything other than the line in a sci-fi book or film about a civil defense supercomputer that goes off the rails a bit uttered by said computer just after whatever attempt to rein it in inspires it to go off the rails a bit; and just before it does so. Absolutely the sort of thing that would look entirely at home scrolling across the below display:

5 Likes

Colossal!

1 Like

It’s like a mix between Masked Singer and American Idol, plus throw in a bunch of politics and boundary-pushing behaviors… I think getting them all drunk and having a fight might be more interesting and cathartic.

According to Snopes that is an urban myth, and the name World Series evolved from a series of name changes and because the winners were considered the world’s champions. American hubris strikes again.

6 Likes

I was being a bit facetious in an obviously poor attempt at humour!

I just do think it’s important to remember Europe was colonised by Africa before the other way around. I pretend ignorance when someone says “pre colonial” Africa and ask do they mean before the establishment of al Andalus or all they way back before there were people here?

4 Likes

Ah… sorry, I did not made the relation between the Ummayads and Moroccans; I would argue that Moroccans were as colonized as us, given that the Ummayads officially governed from Damascus, but i guess the joke is dead by now :wink:

My reply was more an explanation to the original question “that explains Israel but not Morocco”, I guess I hit the wrong reply button :slight_smile:

1 Like

None of what I said makes sense!

2 Likes

I sit corrected.

3 Likes

Well, actually

3 Likes