Neurodiversity ♾ Think Different

Can confirm. And my experience is only mine, but: my variety seems to be the “distractable” - I dive hard into whatever I’m interested in. And I won the lottery - I’m interested in something people pay money for me to do, and is hard to do without a lot of intense concentration.

But there’s a trade-off. I’m only marginally competent at things I’m not interested in. So a lot of day-to-day life maintenance gets ignored, and there are impacts. I’d like to be a better example to my kids about how to cope with their ADHD, but mostly I haven’t coped - I’ve just struggled where it’s hard and that’s all I can suggest to them. Which isn’t very motivating.

I’m pretty sure most people with ADHD aren’t as lucky. My hours spent volunteering among the homeless certainly shows which way it sometimes goes.

Self-medicated to the hilt with legal addictive stimulants.

9 Likes

Ditto, but I have a very supportive and compulsively organized spouse who makes sure those things get done. I tell people all the time, I am pretty good at making money, but she is the only reason we’re not broke. For us, at least, it works. But we are pretty fricken’ privileged in that area.

8 Likes

Surprised GIF by ION

4 Likes

“ADHD Tax” - all the late fees and penalties on the fines that you forgot you needed to pay before they were willing to allow you to do so, all the missed opportunities because you couldn’t make sense of the paperwork, or because you sent it off half-cocked because you knew if you didn’t send it now you never would.

1 Like

8 Likes
7 Likes

If I have a pint of coffee in one sitting I’ll get the jitters otherwise I just get drowsy. I find it easier to get the dose right with instant coffee than other forms. Although I’ve recently drastically cut down my caffeine intake to one large coffee first thing in the morning and occasionally one at 8pm if I’ve got writing to do. It doesn’t interfere with my ability to fall asleep, sometimes it’s in fact easier.

3 Likes
9 Likes

Two unrelated thoughts:

• The article mentions that adults realized how easily distracted they were when they started working from home, but I’m wondering if seeing how their kids were all day every day was maybe the most crucial component….otherwise known as, we don’t pay teachers enough; and

• Anyone living in Diboll, TX (100 miles NE of Houston, according to the article) would already be driving 45 minutes for things like groceries and toiletries. That’s not as extreme as they make it sound. (Source: living in rural Indiana)

7 Likes

@mspie500 posted this in the assholes thread…

And I want to share Chuck Tingle’s follow up here, since he discusses his experiences as a neurodiverse person…

And here’s his statement about the whole debacle…

Let’s hope they’ll learn from this…

chucktingle-thanks

10 Likes

I feel seen.

softpastelqueer
Having autism is like

Having ADHD is like

Having both Autism and ADHD is like

Bonus:

10 Likes

Couldn’t find a standing ovation with children, but this seemed a good choice instead:

Playing Happy Children GIF by MOODMAN

11 Likes

Oh, thanks to Chuck Tingle I just realized something. I don’t get as many headaches and migraines now that I work from home most days instead of in an office all the time. I thought it was the commute and social interactions. But masking my depression was tiring. That was probably a big factor in the headaches and migraines. I don’t have to do that at home. The cats don’t care
I’ve been told more than a few times that someone is very surprised I have clinical depression because “you’re always so cheerful/nice/optimistic.” Well. Yeah, I can appear that way because I got very good at masking how depressed I felt when I was a teen. Oh, and I just can’t be an introvert because I’m so friendly :weary:
Now I’m wondering just how many people are masking for one reason or another

8 Likes

That works as well as the last gif I found which well summarized the contents of my head:

Soundtrack for the above:

It’s safe to assume Mr Perry was neurodivergent

and bananas at least. Just look at him!

7 Likes

Oh God! That last one especially!
Thank you.

5 Likes

Elon acting like those face eating leopards aren’t planning to make a stew from him

The program Elon railed against?

2 Likes

He agrees with Dr Asperger on this matter.

4 Likes

Elon: “I’m actually making history tonight as the first person with Asperger’s to host SNL.”

Also Elon: hiring autists makes planes crash.

Personally, I think Elon told two lies with that one sentence on SNL. First, that he was the first (Dan Akroyd), and second, that he’s a person with Aspergers.

I have a big problem with dismissing “self diagnosis” (also known as “that period of time between being aware of autism as a possible reason for why one is different, and the time that one is actually able to get a doctor to agree, if ever”), but the stereotype exists, and it seems to be designed for dickheads like Musk: Neurotypical as fuck, they’re just arseholes, and they claim to be on the spectrum as a way of getting away with being arseholes and claiming that you’re the arsehole for pointing out that they’re an arsehole.

Bullies always DARVO, and Elon is nothing if not a bully.

9 Likes

But anyways, here’s something to help wash the Elon aftertaste out of peoples’ mouths

9 Likes

Jada Pinkett Smith Point GIF by Red Table Talk

9 Likes