Neurodiversity ♾ Think Different

Children of 2 autistic parents, especially, are more likely than average to need alone time. Imagine never being able to get away from people!

9 Likes

Wow all this sounds appetizing to me and I suppose adding in art, more other different music, and… going out camping to get as far away from some grownups ASAP (that’s going to be years away for these kids, yes) would be good menu items. All of those terribly irrational, probably.

You Can Do It Uoftartsci GIF by U of T Faculty of Arts & Science

6 Likes

You only need one nd parent and one nd kid to create a perfect storm for drama. My poor neurotypical dad would get headaches listening to me and mom argue and trying to keep up with our arguments haha

3 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes

“Certain philosophically-oriented therapies or trends such as modern stoicism are often pre-configured with specific objectives that do not necessarily benefit the individual, but rather companies or the health system. …"

:face_with_hand_over_mouth: I like this guy already.

5 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes
3 Likes

Archive.org:

4 Likes
6 Likes

My kids have introduced me to Jaiden Animations, and I’m so glad they did.

3 Likes

Oh look, even more toxic family vlogger bullshit

(Yahoo reprint)

7 Likes

For the record, ‘rehoming’ adoptees is a well-known problem, even for those without neurodiversity or other medical issues.

7 Likes

The Stauffers posted nearly 30 videos throughout their adoption journey, culminating in a YouTube video titled: “Huxley’s EMOTIONAL Adoption VIDEO!! GOTCHA DAY China Adoption.” The video, which was posted in October 2017, had been viewed more than five million times prior to Myka permanently deleting her channel.

Using the term “Gotcha Day” is a tell. She might have used correct terminology later in her apology, but at the time of the adoption this was very much an ‘all about me’ situation.

In another video uploaded in September 2019, titled: “Emotional China Adoption Update Two Years Home,” the parenting blogger said Huxley had been in applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapy since his autism diagnosis and was “doing so well”.

ABA? Then no, he wasn’t ‘doing so well’. Again, no real research into the best practices to help this specific child.

The YouTuber explicitly revealed the extent of Huxley’s needs in an article she wrote for Parade that year, saying that he was diagnosed with “a stroke in utero, has level three autism, and sensory processing disorder”.

Revealed private medical information on a toddler in mainstream media?

And there’s something off about her terminology: ‘has level three autism’ is not how the diagnosis would have been worded, and ‘sensory processing disorder’ as a separate diagnosis seems redundant.

Basically, my sense is that she’s learned enough once it became public to say some of the right things (the way an AI might) to try to cover her butt, but it’s too little too late.

I just hope it’s true that that the new parent really is found to be up to the task of caring for a child with so many adverse life experiences already under his belt.

6 Likes

I know it’s not cool to armchair diagnosis someone online, but I’m gonna go out on limb here about these people and do that anyways…

pink-flamingos-assholism

I mean, just look at these two…

I know, I know… it’s WRONG to stereotype people based on looks… but… they’re also “family influencers”… so…

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

That poor kid.

6 Likes

5 Likes

As my wife would say: “changing topics now… ready?”

Interesting observation on the ADHD front. The child in question has a history teacher that has been giving immediate mark feed back in the form of “your assignment brought your final course mark to X%, your next assignment can take it to Y%”.

This has worked well: the goal is simplified, feedback times are shortened (vs report cards), feedback feels more concrete.

A strategy to consider.

7 Likes
6 Likes

Put another way, autistic people are not being brainwashed. The rest of society is.

the very concept of gender identity was developed as a tool to reinforce this artificial binary and justify coercive medical practices towards intersex children in order to force them to conform to this notion.

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Also, foucault has entered the chat…

focus GIF

6 Likes