Neurodiversity ♾ Think Different

6 Likes

Anorexia nervosa affects up to 3% of young women and has the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric disorder1, 2, with approximately 5% of patients dying within four years of the diagnosis1.

Eating disorders have a mortality rate comparable to many childhood cancers, and worse than any psychological disorder other than addiction, and those are very close. It doesn’t get nearly the attention it deserves.

11 Likes

Much like other illnesses associated with girls and women… :rage:

8 Likes

Society is judged by the treatment of Its weakest, most vulnerable members.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

12 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

10 Likes
12 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

… it’s sometimes confusing when the UK refers to its subdivisions as “countries” :confused:

2 Likes

But hey, at least they don’t call them “states”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

… or “dominions” :crazy_face:

2 Likes

There is a known risk factor for gastrointestinal issues in autistic people, so this makes a lot of sense:

8 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes
4 Likes

Being able to predict without being able to intervene is just torture. See our experience with Huntington’s Disease.

Impact of Test Results – HDSA Center of Excellence (washington.edu)

If this leads to an ability to at least ameliorate the problems, then Yay! Otherwise, I have questions. Some feel empowered to make decisions in their lives based on foreknowledge, others experience utter devastation that their lives are over and wasted. Very much double-edged sword.

11 Likes
4 Likes

Paige Layle has something to say.

7 Likes

Some useful links for anyone with disabilities, whether neuro or otherwise:

Written (including Plain Language and Easy Read):

First of 11 video explainers (with CC) in a playlist – same info as above, but for those who hear better than read:

7 Likes

Thank you. Some people in my family need to see this for my and my son’s sake.

5 Likes