Neurodiversity ♾ Think Different

Love her work. Also featured on BB a little while back…

8 Likes

I ran across some discussion of a book by David William Plummer entitled “The Nonvisible Part of the Autism Spectrum”. It’s rated 4.15/5 (13 reviews) at Goodreads and 4.6/5 (19 reviews) at Amazon, and it purports to be a “companion for the curious” regarding the spectrum.

Have any of you read this, or have any thoughts about its accuracy or relevance to the topic? It sounds interesting, and it’s inexpensive at Amazon ($9.99, or free with Kindle Unlimited membership), but if it’s inaccurate or unhelpful I’ll give it a pass.

Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

If the book is for you or another woman, I would say you should look at books written specifically for women. Information about autistic traits/characteristics in most books is very much geared toward how boys and men manifest.

5 Likes

It’s for me and my own education, primarily. There’s probably also a touch of hypochondria at work here; as I learn more about the spectrum, I keep reading about common behaviors that remind me strongly of my own behaviors over the past 60 years.

I do know that manifestation is different in boys/men and girls/women, but given that I’m more interested at the moment in my own traits, I don’t think that would be a disqualifier for this book. I’m mostly wondering about the validity of the content - is it based on actual data/observations, or is it more anecdotal in nature?

4 Likes

I haven’t read it, so I’ll leave that to others. In the meantime, here are some sites to mosey through which you don’t have to pay for:

https://aane.org/

https://www.thetransmitter.org/spectrum/

And this one has a relatively-active forum, including a lot of women:

ETA: I see about half of them didn’t one-box. Sorry about that.

7 Likes

Thanks!

7 Likes

It seems like something out from a PKD novel.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Archive link

9 Likes

Thank you very much.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Sorry the image didn’t copy-the book is The Dog Thief by Marta Acosta.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Re-boing just two posts up the thread!

5 Likes

That may be a figment of your imagination.

7 Likes

I will keep it for my eternal shame.

Hey, take your guaraná.

@catsidhe, @MerelyGifted and @BakerB

11 Likes

hometoursandotherstuff

13 Likes

But, the good kind of weird!

10 Likes

Wunderpus is not conservative. I mean, just look at that suit!

9 Likes

If you can’t beat 'em, confuse 'em.

11 Likes