New Apple gadgets: iPhone 6S, ginormous iPad Pro, gamier Apple TV

I would buy that device right now. Sadly, they gave us their answer to the Surface RT, instead. I’d like to see what they do with it, but I’m not holding my breath.

They use SK Hynix E2NAND3.0 128GB module. Off the shelf stuff.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to suggest that they were using anything wildly special, just that they probably weren’t picking from the bottom of the bin; so the ‘how stiffed are you getting?’ comparison should be against the cost/GB of at least midrange flash products, not the wonderful stuff that inhabits mystery USB sticks that don’t even bother to specify a lie about their performance capabilities.

Given that their per-GB pricing is above that of well respected SSD manufacturers, I’d say that the answer is ‘pretty stiffed’; but not quite as stiffed as a comparison with whatever store brand USB stick is a loss leader this week.

1 Like

cannot connect usb drives and swap them out on-the-fly…cannot connect SD cards and swap them out on-the- fly. Cannot install larger storage down the road on a device you’ve already purchased.

I care more about getting stiffed the functionality so they can make a few bucks then paying the few bucks. I’d gladly pay those same bucks to get the proper functionality and the ability to upgrade and connect to various devices of my choice.

OH, but then we might realize that iOS has NO file management or way to access the filesystem, that apps lack the ability to open external files and can only open internally stored files, and just how crude app sandboxing is on iOS…so there is that.

1 Like

Considering every single new TV still seems to have some sort of “motion flow” or whatever turned on by default, giving you that awesome soap opera effect, yeah, hard to forget that one. At least 3D seems to have died. I could also do without built-in “smart” apps that aren’t as good as what I can do with my sub-$100 android box, and are MUCH harder to upgrade (if they ever get upgraded at all). I just think to myself “Damn, imagine how cheap OLED TVs could be right now if manufacturers stopped hucking all these shitty gimmicks at people?”

Oh, and speaking of the iPad Pro… I love this comic from 2012:

5 Likes

Artists need something to hold, and provide a bit more precision than the fingertip. I can’t paint or draw any other way (I’ve tried). Apple Pencil: that’s for me.

Given that even Wacom tablets now work with both gestures (at least some of the time, anyhow—driver issues seem to be problematic) and a stylus, I’d say this is pretty natural.

I used to use one of these for a writing-box (and VT100 terminal): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMate_300

In reading the Engadget article about the camera, it would appear that Apple is recording 4K video by capturing every frame discretely, as opposed to just capturing differences frame-to-frame. So even MORE space required to store that video, huzzah!

The trash talking on 7" tablet form factor had a lot to do with battery. Apple (correctly) knew that battery life was essential to adoption, but the hardware at the time couldn’t pack in all-day performance into a 7" device. So Steve went around telling everyone that 10" was obviously superior format.

A cunning ruse.

But I thought it’d be coooooooooool… (Also.)

1 Like

Here’a recent Bill of Materials for a samsung phone.

http://press.ihs.com/press-release/technology/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-pricier-build-cheaper-buy-comparable-apple-iphone-6-

The size of your finger does not depend on how closely you hold your tablet. So the ten inch form factor has some advantges. It’s just too big to carry around in a purse (or a european carry all)

Some CarPlay screens are resistive.

I also kind of thought it would be cheaper by now. :frowning:

See, I’d view that as a good thing- it means the resulting video will be more robust for editing than the highly compressed alternative.
The only question is if I get a 64gb or a 128gb.

1 Like

Oh no, I think it’s a good thing too (edit: for a feature that I still argue most consumers don’t actually need), don’t get me wrong. It just means it’s going to be huuuge, and on a 16gb phone?

Yeah, a 16gb iPhone is a joke at this point. I had a 16gb 4, and it was okay, and my 16gb 5s has been a stretch- I’ve had to be diligent about culling photos and video. I can’t imagine it’d be enough on a 6s.
Still- the 4K thing, while neat, is mostly irrelevant, honestly. Hardly anyone has a 4K TV or screen, and the files are huge. AND if you sit more than a few feet from your TV, you won’t be able to see the difference anyway. Ditto with 720 vs 1080, but that’s happened anyway, so…

Funny thing is that pretty much every review of the previous model included the remark that 16GB was just sad for 2014. That’s like ten years ago in phone years.

The really bullshit thing about the 16GB version is that they don’t even make a 32GB one. So you have to go up to the 64GB one, which is probably overkill, and pay way over the odds for the storage, and Apple get to pretend that their phone is much cheaper than it really is for most people.

1 Like

See my previous railing on exactly that point earlier in the thread. :slight_smile: At least with 1080p, in theory there are people with big enough TVs positioned close enough to their couches to be able to see some of the difference over 720p, if not the full detail (my 55" set is about 8 feet away from my couch, and you need to be 7 feet or closer to see the full detail differences - but I only ever bother acquiring 720p content because I know that I’m highly unlikely to notice the difference most of the time).

I actually survive fine with my 16gb Android phones (and my 16gb iPhone 5 for work), most of the time, but then I don’t store any of my media on there. If I did, I would definitely be struggling.