New Apple gadgets: iPhone 6S, ginormous iPad Pro, gamier Apple TV

Which is, I believe, a point shared by John Gruber in the link I shared (and many others). And that’s the first guy people like to dismiss as an Apple superfan when they disagree with his opinions.

It’s an uncharacteristically crude trick for Apple, which tends to be much more insidiously clever in the craft of parting us with our money, over and over again.

I’d disagree with 64GB being overkill by definition. Well, at least assuming a user who wants to use that 4k video camera at all as well as some music/podcast/audiobook content and maybe a couple of modern games. These add up real fast.

Hell… If I recall correctly from back when I played it, the silly Simpsons Tapped Out game took up like a gigabyte of space. Unless I’m thinking of the iPad version.

1 Like

Well, iMovie on an iPhone is nearly a gig, and you’ll need that to edit all that 4k video (though, I have to admit- the fact that editing 4k on a phone is even possible is a little nuts…).

1 Like

Soon. Huion is going to eat their lunch. I have a Huion 610 Pro, which is a $70 version of the $900 Wacom 8" pen tablets. I like it a lot.

Does your Huion have an integrated IPS screen?

The TV industry would prefer that you buy a larger TV, but you could rearrange your living room.

Of course, at my desk, my monitors absolutely dominate my field of vision and “4k” looks amazing,

Sadly the English language does not differentiate between “tablet” meaning small rectangular computer with a touchscreen and “tablet” meaning place to record pen input. Huion makes the latter.

I’m not familiar with graphics tablets. All I know is that Mike Krahulik really liked his Cintiq. (He may have moved on to a surface pro since then)

1 Like

Found an early opinion from someone who really liked the apple pencil/iPad pro compared to the wacoms:

http://www.lindadong.com/blog//apple-pencil-vs-wacom-cintiq

It’s no ars technica review, but looks promising. If developers come up with ‘pro’ enough software it might become a very nice tool indeed.

I am awaiting a review of the Apple tools from Frenden, who is the stuff on digital art tools. http://frenden.com/

1 Like

Check this out: the “stupid fools” at ILM use nothing but Apple. This could explain the inclusion of 4K video.

from the review it doesn’t sound like she’s used either one…

none of the things she describes about the cintiq are true…the stylus construction is top notch. there isn’t any latency…and the cintiq companions don’t need cords either and are full computers, not mobile devices. I’m guessing she must have had a bad experience years ago and has a chip on her shoulder. That last sentence confirms it.

I’m glad apple is providing a stylus with tilt and angle detection, it sucks that it needs to be charged unlike all the competition, it sucks that the os of the table is iOS rather the OSX. Full Photoshop and Illustrator are key to my design work. The full Artrage and Sketchbook are way better. Painter isn’t on iOS. No ability to access external storage, usb sticks, sd cards. etc. etc. There are a lot of advantages to having your graphics table be a full computer running a regular OS.

This is where the Cintiq Companion is king for design professionals, and the latest Surface Pro a more affordable alternative (although lacking tilt and rotation detection).

If Apple gave us a real OSX tablet I’d be first in line…camped out…but this huge mobile tablet just doesn’t do anything for me.

Mike is a very vocal proponent of the Surface Pro. He loved the Surface Pro 2… Was less enthused about the 3 at first, but the MS folks worked very hard with him to improve some of its deficiencies when it came to working with artists.

She claims to have used both, but you know how it is with online opinions. Still waiting for a more complete review.

I think the hardware will be excellent but agree the software as it stands is simply lacking for a lot of “pro” uses. If they manage to come up with incredible iOs alternatives to Painter, Manga Studio and so on it might change things up.

But as he said himself: he was pretty much the perfect customer for it, being a professional illustrator and a hardcore PC gamer. Not the largest of niches for a company to aim for.

It charges in 15 seconds. Granted, the 15 second quick charge only provides 30 minutes of battery life, but this seems a reasonable compromise. You could always charge it for longer.

I feel like he also made it pretty clear that just for his art alone, it was an amazing machine (at least, the 2 was… I haven’t really followed his progress with the 3). Being able to game on it was just icing on the cake.

1 Like

In truth, I merely wanted to show the working style of someone who was painting directly onto a monitor, rather than painting directly onto a graphics tablet, and having the results show up on a completely different surface.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.