New ASL interpreter for the White House is an extreme Trumper who was on Parler, now on Gab

Even when Democrats win, they act like they’re trying to figure out how to come back from a loss

3 Likes

It looks like the Trump admin was forced by the courts to bring ASL into COVID report coverage (in September 2020 btw), and she works for the contractor the White House worked with: JB Interpreting. I guess it was hard to find someone willing to do that work at all, and since she was a Trump fan she was one among few.

She completely removed her impartiality by wearing MAGA hats and stuff, but it seems to be someone found through the existing channels from the previous administration.

3 Likes

My understanding when Jen Psaki announced the start of using ASL interpreters was that Heather was one of a number, a station or whatever.
What sucks for her is that normally, they shouldn’t be able to fire her for political beliefs (unless a lefty I guess) but if she can’t be trusted to interpret honestly, well, that’s a problem.
Or, of course, she could be fired and spend a few years suing.

1 Like

If she continues to be accurate as confirmed by people who know ASL, this could be a net positive. She could be converted back to reality, or at least influenced towards it.

1 Like

She’s not a child, it’s not our job raise her to become a better person

The whole situation is absurd, a loophole everybody seemingly forgot about

It’s as if the White House were somehow required to continue using the same speechwriters as the previous occupant because they had civil service protections

3 Likes

Sure, it’s not our job to raise her. And also, people can have stupid opinions because they’ve been conned. And also, and really mainly, as long as she does her job well it can be to our benefit. She might renounce her previous team.

My opinion, which I’m sure President Biden is paying strict attention to :slight_smile: , is that as long her translating is accurate she can stay.

2 Likes

Just Bring in the guy from NH David Krueger. Turns out he’s deaf and has an ASL interpreter so he can reinterpret to the cameras.

Consider also that, working in the Trump administration, it’s possible that she is a trumpist by opportunity. She made a bet on the orange loser to be re-elected.

Did you miss the insurrection a few weeks ago and how close we are to no longer having a democracy even today?

This is a dangerous ideology, not a “stupid opinion”…

She went out of her way to lean into that.

When people show you who they are, you need to believe them.

12 Likes

We have got to get past this kneejerk avoidance of “stooping to their level.” Until we understand that we are in a full-on existential war, we will not defeat American fascism. Polite politics are a luxury we can’t afford in desperate times, and playing by the rules when our opponent is not bound by them is a recipe for losing our country. It may already be too late.

3 Likes

Sigh, here we go again

It’s not anti-liberal to fire fascists for being fascists.

8 Likes

Every damn day.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.