New camera system detects litterbug drivers, automatically issues a fine

Originally published at: New camera system detects litterbug drivers, automatically issues a fine | Boing Boing

2 Likes

A reboing after only about half an hour. Is this a record?

Thank you for the English version of Rob’s post from a while back.

Still some of these terms need translated. What is an “ice lolly wrapper”? Clearly the wrapper from some kind of frozen confection. Used “Johnny”…Let me guess that’s something for a Johnson?

1 Like

Can we get one for “crop dusting” co-workers?

In slang, crop - dusting is the act of moving while farting, usually silently, thereby “ dusting ” other people or an area with the farts.

1 Like

Nah. Have seen it much quicker. Single digit minutes.

1 Like

Now this is a surveillance dystopia I can get on board with!

I think when they’re that close it should just be called a Double Boing.

2 Likes

Some of us are professionals at this sport. I say…Bring it on!

1 Like

This is your periodic reminder that the entire notion of litter as an individual consumer’s moral responsibility was manufactured by packaged food & beverage companies. They were getting pressure to solve the end to end life cycle problems of their products and responded with a massive marketing campaign to shift the blame on to us. This manifested most memorably with the “crying Indian” ads (where the Native American was played by an Italian guy, no less).

1 Like

“: That was the ultimate mission behind Keep America Beautiful - for every American to believe it was their personal responsibility to keep the environment clean.”

I have a really hard time disagreeing with that. Granted, I think companies that produce consumer products and packaging waste should have to pay to mitigate their waste to encourage less waste. But I can’t take personal responsibility of individuals not to litter out of the equation.

Also, here is the direct transcript link for the NPR piece you linked to - way faster to read than to listen to:

1 Like

Nobody is saying we should. However no collective action problem in history has ever been solved with stern PSAs about individual responsibility. If those corporations had not been allowed to disavow responsibility for the waste they create, we wouldn’t need to rely on people to help out. The small effort we get from people now would be gravy instead of not even putting a dent in the problem.

Litter is a negative externality like any other. We don’t blame individuals for the coal dust in the air above their house. American corporations are very good at privatizing profits and socializing losses. We let them get away with that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.