New discovery about maple sap could revolutionize syrup industry

That ceratinly is ‘a’ question.

But I think they are not so much like wooden straws.

Maple syrup, defined.

I’m not a producer, so I’m not sure if the standard can be gamed.

2 Likes

Yes, but that invisible hand has already done this to the extent it will. I’m not sure how more maple syrup will inevitably lead to less abundant pure maple syrup.

Somewhat unrelated; pound for pound, if maple sugar replaced HFCS, it would be a marginally better world.

3 Likes

And tastier!

3 Likes

How many tourists are drawn to Kansas by wheat fields and end up buying wheat from local farmers at roadside stands? Now, how many tourists are drawn to Vermont by fall maple foliage and end up buying syrup from local farmers at roadside stands? See the difference now? In Vermont, the appearance of the mature trees actually helps drive business; it’s a cross between agriculture and ecotourism. I’m not sure a switch to plantations would draw so many tourists. Granted, the hillsides will probably still be covered with mature maple trees, and that’s where most of the views are.

3 Likes

But maple syrup is already well into that phase - the “watery HFCS crap” you speak of is what many of us call ‘pole syrup’, and others call “Aunt Jemima.”

But there’s lots of that on the market already - some even containing a small fraction of real maple.

If anything, this technique might put a large dent in the Aunt Jemima business, because it could make real maple as affordable as the crap.

(Of course, pole syrup will hang on as a niche product for people who grew up with it and think real maple tastes weird, but they might have to pay premium prices for it.)

1 Like

On the other hand, if the “Chinese Middle Class” somehow develops a hankering for Maple Syrup products, it could be economical to reorient the production towards the needs of Chinese connoisseurs, instead of US domestic markets.

or sell them maple trees

1 Like

Based on the assumption that chopping off a tree at such a low height and thus having no leaves the tree ends up dying;

What is the cost of replanting the trees each season versus letting them grow?
What happens to the soil and/or the water table beneath and around the tree that is chopped off versus the soil and/or water table beneath and around a tree that is simply tapped?
What are the labour costs of chopping off the tree versus tapping it?
What are the costs of disposing the chopped off portions?
What is the impact, if any, on the various animals and insects in the area?

3 Likes

A reasonable assumption for anyone who has not read the article.

5 Likes

The market is already flooded with HFCS products. By law in the US, anything labeled “maple syrup” has to be made mostly from maple syrup and people still buy pure maple syrup - at a substantial markup. Plenty of people actually enjoy the HFCS versions (called often “pancake syrup”) since they tend to be thicker, but I always go for the good grade B stuff.

Or if I’m really splurging (and it is the right time of the year), sweet or savory birch syrup from Alaska. Sadly I used up the last of my supply ages ago.

My first Disch and still my favourite. Depressing sure but a handful of people survive. Sure they are broken with little to no hope of surviving on a broken world but they are still alive.

I hate to say how I know this but Cracker Barrel serves pancakes with a little bottle of “Pure Syrup” Not maple syrup the bottle says Pure Syrup. Looks like a little bottle of maple syrup and pours like maple syrup but It’s 45% maple syrup 55% HFCS.

My mind hates the idea almost as much as my body hates stuffing itself at cracker barrel. Sadly the syrup tastes incredibly good.

I’m predicting the start of “Real Old-Maple Syrup”.

I don’t know about the US but in Canada if it has something other than pure maple syrup in it you can’t call it maple syrup. Usually it is called table syrup or pancake syrup or some such. Like my favourite toast topping from my childhood, Map-O-Spread (imagine the fake maple frosting on doughnuts and that will be about right) is now a “Composed Sugar Spread” rather than a maple flavoured spread.

Forgive me - I’d always thought Pancake Syrup was made … from … pancakes.

Bdm-tch.

3 Likes

No Pecan Pie? Thank China, Rain and Pigs

‘cause nothin’ sez 'merica like Maple Syrup, and the olive garden… and taco bell.

Then I’ve got some good news for you about baby oil.

15 Likes

As a mechanic, I worry a lot about engine oil. What a waste.

2 Likes