New Dropbox uses half a gig of RAM and "sucks"

i think chrome uses separate processes to implement sandboxes for each tab. so maybe there’s something in that for the taskbar. if the browser supported it.

so maybe i was wrong to say os support. more like deeper browser support integrating with the os.

ideally, for instance, it’d be great to hijack the frame of a browser to make it look app-like. hide the address bar, limit bookmarks to the local url, hoist a div into a native menu, support task switching, etc. all stuff you don’t want an average web page to do on your machine.

so then you’d wind up with a variation on chrome or whatever to provide that platform for local apps. and then variations of that platform for different features, bug fixes, etc. and you’d probably wind up with like 10 different versions on your machine anyway

in the end, maybe that’s why electron’s approach wins. even tho the win is not great

full disclosure, ive packaged an app with electron so that i could distribute it as a standalone binary. one good thing was not having to worry about browser idiosyncrasies. basically, i didn’t need to be knowledgeable about web development. i just needed to make sure it worked in chrome.

but pretty much every electron app ive tried to use is like drop box sounds. bloated and slow.

1 Like

We switched to using Sync for our work files that had to be accessed by remote workers around 3 years ago, and haven’t had any big problems.

I ran Activity Monitor, and Sync is using 0.6% of the CPU and 85 MB of RAM.

This. The ONLY thing I miss is being able to do P2P syncing between devices with the NextCloud client to speed up setting new devices, but that’s a minor quibble that means little to nothing when you’re on the network at home.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.