New evidence shows footpads on Theropod flying dinosaurs and offers glimpes into their ecology

So my friend who is a citizen scientist has been going around to various museums with this laser device he created that scans and photographs fossils at different light wavelengths. This will reveal details in the fossils that aren’t visible in natural light.

He just published a paper that shows foot pads on various flying theropods. You can compare their morphology to current birds and get a clue as to what kind of life they lived - in the trees, on the ground, catching stuff in water, etc.

Its a scientific paper, so its pretty dense for the layman, but the pictures are cool!

I will only post 2 or 3:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-35039-1

10 Likes

Bumps so more people can check it out!

6 Likes

Neato! (That middle one sure looks like a chicken foot :slightly_smiling_face:)

6 Likes

That’s a really cool read. Fascinating tech!

4 Likes

now i want dim sum!
ETA - dim sum not dim dum!
dummy me!

4 Likes

Hell yeah, this is so cool. My girls just got a Dinosaur encyclopedia for xmas, and are way into dinos, and into how we know the things we know about them, as the knowledge changes so fast (I myself was blown away that Maiasaura - the first evidence of mother dinosaurs extensively caring for young in a nest colony - was discovered in 1978)

3 Likes

Haha, that’s exactly what I was thinking of. Unfortunately when we go to dim sum, I’m usually the only one that wants chicken feet.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.