New evidence shows Henry VIII meticulously planned Anne Boleyn's beheading

The most common weapon used in the Rwandan genocide was either a machete or a club.

1 Like

I had Rwanda in mind, but for a different reason.

3 Likes

Kind of a tangent, but my favorite part of Wolf Hall is the depiction of Sir Thomas More. In A Man For All Season’s, More is shown as dying a martyr for the cause of his conscience. But he wasn’t dying because Anne Boleyn deserved to live, but simply because of his personal, stubborn, religious convictions. That is, Thomas More tortured and murdered many “heretics” to their death. Thomas More was apparently no saint.

2 Likes

Egotistical lardass in charge with no compassion and too many wives. Where have I heard of that before?

1 Like

That was my thought when I read this, but I’m not actually that old.

Nor is testify/testimony/testicles an accidental collision!

1 Like

Kind of missing the point of Thomas More in Wolf Hall. Catholics got offended that he was realistically portrayed as the torturer he was, but in Wolf Hall the thing was Cromwell saw himself in opposition to him. Yet he did all the same things, he just did it at someone else’s command, and he did it while proclaiming he was against it (having tortured people testify, torturing in his own house, burning people alive, and of course running the multiple language spy agency that everyone feared and suppressing printing presses with murder when he didn’t agree with them).

Mantel played a fuller game than merely shitting on More. I kind of feel the director of the TV show wasn’t much into nuance though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.