The silk shirt Charles I of England wore to have his head chopped off

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/30/the-silk-shirt-charles-i-of-en.html

3 Likes

Monarchy certainly has its drawbacks. It does have the singular advantage where the people know exactly where the buck stops.

This version of democracy seems highly evolved to obscure the roles of everyone involved, making it damn near impossible to tell who exactly is responsible for the things most likely to stir a revolt.

7 Likes

I say dress your best for your final party.

10 Likes

I think a valid strategy here is “start with the richest and work your way down, re-distributing wealth as needed.”

10 Likes

“They can’t prove whose vomit it was…”
“You can’t really dust for vomit.”

18 Likes

It’s arguable in the case of England, the Interregnum was even worse than the monarchy. The Cromwells were kings in all but name, and every bit as ruthless as the Stuarts.

11 Likes

I used to have a morbid fascination with executions and explored some of it with art. I guess I still sorta do.

Here is a relevant short story by George Orwell (yes, that George Orwell).

A Hanging

https://orwell.ru/library/articles/hanging/english/e_hanging

Note the title… its just “a” hanging, not “the” hanging.

5 Likes
7 Likes

I usually wear a cheaper shirt when I’m having a little off the top.

16 Likes

And Trump is said to be a very stable genius.

I find it weird that no blood ended up getting on it. Manual beheading doesn’t seem like it would be a tidy exercise.

Also, why now? Is there some significance to the 371st anniversary of his death? Is he coming back to take over per the prophecy when the UK casts off its euro-yolk, and he’ll need his shirt?

4 Likes

They are doing an exhibit on executions.

3 Likes

Barf, gross.

2 Likes

It’s less arguable and more established fact in the case of Ireland

11 Likes

The second one was not so ruthless. Bored and indifferent to the job after failing to get anything done, he retired when it was obvious he would otherwise be deposed, traveled the world, then came home and lived to 90.

Queen Dick, they called him! It was an insult then, of sorts.

8 Likes

He was executed laying down, not kneeling. That could have resulted in less splatter since the body wouldnt keel over. Also we cant see the back of the shirt.

I think this is probably his undershirt that he was wearing inside before putting on his black jacket prior to going outside. He may have puked on the shirt before putting on the jacket, and the jacket blocked any blood splashes.

He was also observed to put on an additional layer over his black jacket before going outside in the cold, then he removed it before laying down. Maybe this article is that additional layer.

Just possibilities

5 Likes

There’s a solid case that the English Republic was no better for Ireland than the established norms, but I think that the argument that Cromwell’s government was worse than the monarchy substantially underplays the crimes of royalist regimes.

BTW, this is an interesting read:

1 Like

But is it mom’s spaghetti?

3 Likes

And the Restoration was no kinder, either. (sings)

There was an old prophecy found in a bog, Lillibulero bullen a la!
That we should be ruled by an ass and a dog, Lillibulero bullen a la!
(Lero, lero, lillibulero, … etc…)
And now the old prophecy is come to pass, Lillibulero bullen a la!
For Talbot’s a dog and Tyrconnell’s an ass, (Lillibulero, etc.)

(Some of my ancestors set sail to the New World from Ireland in 1685. It was a good time to be somewhere other than Ireland.)

6 Likes

Understandably, his pants were burnt immediately afterwards with sanitary concerns.

On the morning of his execution, King Charles the First put on two shirts. 'If I tremble with the cold," he said, “my enemies will say it was from fear. I will not expose myself to such reproaches.”

Classy.

14 Likes