First official portrait of King Charles III

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/14/first-official-portrait-of-king-charles-iii.html

18 Likes

When you only bought the paints you need for the foreground and then realize you need to do the background too.

18 Likes

Plus a little

for good measure.

“… contained safely in the phantom zone.”

32 Likes

Apparently, the first thing the artist asks his subjects is “what is best in life?”

18 Likes

Mixed Media: Acrylic and collage on raw ground beef.

16 Likes

Is he the King of Shitty ‘60s Pulp Novel Covers, now? Or is it Atari cartridge box art? Both would be accurate as the depiction vs reality was always a massive let-down.

15 Likes

This will provide fuel for royal conspiracy theories for decades.

10 Likes

Reminds me of when we got a glimpse of the palette for the artist painting Hugo Weaving’s portrait in Captain America (before the mask reveal scene showing Red Skull’s true face).

IMG_1338

10 Likes

Drama Club No GIF by Nickelodeon

14 Likes

I kinda like it? :grimacing:

I don’t care for the Monarchy or Chaz himself, but the composition and texture of the painting has something appealing to my eye.

28 Likes

IMG_1339

22 Likes

It’s blood,isnt it?
And its probably supposed to be blood.
The blood of monarchy and empire, covering everything apart from the man himself.

14 Likes

I think it looks nice.
the monarch butterfly is a nice symbol. he could have done the traditional lion or whatever but he chose something pretty and delicate.

13 Likes

Wait…is this a joke? “…a fine mist of his enemies blood”? Almost fell for it. :joy:

10 Likes

Scarlet Rot? He’s been hanging around with Melina too often…

3 Likes

The blood of Princess Di and covering how the man helped transform her into Princess Die himself.

5 Likes

Bloodclaat!

2 Likes

I mean yes… but…

No…?

4 Likes

7 Likes

It’s like one of those portraits that Vincent Price would show an unwitting guest, while describing the demented ancestors who lived in that very same haunted manor, in a Roger Corman or Hammer Horror film.

21 Likes