First official portrait of King Charles III

So he’s being repainted as a pinko? How subversive. Just kidding. Seriously though, I like it, I see it as a monarchy fading into obscurity. The emphasis of the person over the station I interpret as a concession to modern revisionist thinking. A sign-of-the-times portrait indeed. Look at me, suddenly I’m an art critic!

8 Likes

If I had been the artist, I would have spat at the painting while painting it (just like William Turner was alleged to have done on his own artwork) but only for my saliva’s fixative qualities, you understand.

4 Likes

15 Likes

Meh, I like it

12 Likes

My man’s stuck inside a wall texture from Ultimate Doom.

13 Likes

I’m pretty sure this is one of those things where the point the piece is making is exactly the point it seems to be making but the polite thing to do would be to not call attention to it, so attention will not be called to it.
Pretty cool IMO. Have the British social conservatives gotten mad about it yet?

5 Likes

I kinda like. Though the palette reminds me of like a 70s paperback cover. Like this Shadow print by Kaluta from 1976.

10 Likes

The Monarch emerges from the meat slurry made from the flensed flesh of his subjects, sword in hand, to bring the final doom to the benighted isles…

4 Likes

It’s a very lucky color.

7 Likes

Everyone’s a critic. Easy to snark, but if i was in the painter’s shoes, i’d be nervous as hell to try such a modern approach to such an important portrait. Good on the artist for not only going for it, but pulling it off.

20 Likes

As long as the client likes it…:woman_shrugging:t4:

10 Likes

The artist was the king’s second choice after Beschizza turned down the commission.

14 Likes

About it? Not that I’ve heard, but they may find themselves defending it if something akin to

ended up being flexed sideways by unfriendly critics as a dig at Prince Andrew via his association with Jeffrey Epstein.

4 Likes

Kind of reminds me of

6 Likes

This is what happens when you cross the Royal Family with a cotton candy machine.

Alternate take: The King! The King! The King is on fire!

4 Likes

He’s a ghost.

3 Likes

th

6 Likes

Yea, I was going to say pretty much the same thing. I think as a painting, it’s actually kind of cool.

10 Likes

First unofficial portrait of King Chuck? :smiley:

5 Likes

Bert Baldrick, Mr Gainsborough’s butler’s dogsbody, says that he’s heard that all portraits look the same these days, ’cos they’re painted to a romantic ideal rather than as a true depiction of the idiosyncratic facial qualities of the person in question.

Still reminds me of Báthory-bathing-in-blood. I don’t mind the head, really do not like the hands.

5 Likes