First official portrait of King Charles III

painted with the blood of all those killed in the making of empire…

7 Likes

King Crimson!!!
Joking aside, after looking at it for a while, I DO kinda like it. It is interesting how the monocrome background and body guides the viewers gaze to his face.
It is a good modernist take on a royal portrait and reminds me in the official painting of former german chancellor Gerhard Schöder by Jörg Immendorff in the federal chanclery in Berlin.

4 Likes

It’s gone full Gender Critcal Cthulhu in the papers today, so there’s a coherent vision to the evil, as many of us suspected all along.

12 Likes

willis red

5 Likes

Glad it wasn’t just me getting a Vigo of Carpathia vibe from the thing.

Pretty sure in this case that his ears follow you round the room:

6 Likes

I’m still getting over my surprise that this is real.

Are there other Royal portraits done in some obscure way like this? What I mean is, I would imagine a royal portrait to be a formal posed, realistic portrait. But I know nothing about it. Then again, I’ve been to a lot of museums and seen a lot of paintings.

Can someone shed some light? Much as the aristocracy does not interest me, this portrait does.

5 Likes

Meh.

Barack Obama wore it better. Way better.

13 Likes

W.T.A.F?
(Complete sentence acquired)

3 Likes

Pictures from onebox guardian go away, the image shows the review as 1 star out of 5.

7 Likes

Thanks for posting that. Also, Obama’s hands look giant!

Now that I am thinking about it, my favorite Obama image is the hope poster/sticker. Fondly recalling that time.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 8.21.22 AM

4 Likes

I now fully expect that image to accompany all dystopian headlines.

10 Likes

Tour Guide, “This is a portrait by the artist Beschizza. It is said that the mouths seem to follow the viewer around the room.”

Edit: in other news…

“Long Live the New Flesh!”

4 Likes

We’re gonna need a bigger canvas!

We don’t need no water—Let the motherfucker burn!
Burn, motherfucker, burn!

4 Likes

Lucian Freud, letting the strokes show

6 Likes

That’s a good one.
Also, as per usual - Obama’s suits were always tailored properly. Unlike a certain orange-hued person.

4 Likes

Trump’s suits are perfectly tailored, too; just not for him.

6 Likes

Hellblazer or Slayer cover art?

2 Likes

Fucking hell… so i’m not reading a Charles Stross novel? When is the Tzompantli being built?

6 Likes

Jonathan Yeo has One Weird Trick for painting portraits.

Yeo’s art is formulaic and this one follows the formula. He does a pedantic study of someone’s features then – daringly! – collides this staid depiction with a free burst of lurid abstract wallpaper. He did Cara Delevingne in a vague subaqua setting and Taron Egerton in purple and pink rain. To me this is an evasion of actual portraiture which is based on acute, hard observation.

4 Likes

I guess you could say the same about Kehinde Wiley’s “schtick” of painting portraits of people as photorealistic bodies against semi-flat floral or rococo patterned backgrounds. (See Obama’s portrait above.)

But I think even ignoring the backgrounds there’s a lot more artistic choices in how Wiley represents his subjects through pose and dress and gaze.

The portraits of Cara Delevingne that you linked to look like gimmicky AI knockoffs of an uninteresting style. (Although the one of Charles is rather better than those.) Scrolling through his other works, the “photorealistic face against smudges” gets old real fast.

4 Likes