First official portrait of King Charles III

5 Likes

You could call it his one trick, or his style.

9 Likes

Yeah, art is subjective but it’s weird to attack an artist for having developed a visual vocabulary that informs their body of work. Presumably Charles chose this artist because he liked that style of painting, not because he wanted the artist to experiment on a new look just for him.

Rembrandt had an established style of portraiture that involved contrasting the subject’s brightly illuminated face against a nondescript dark background, a formula he used dozens and dozens of times for all manner of clients. Yet we don’t accuse Rembrandt of being “facile,” most anyone can recognize his distinct talent even if it’s not their thing.

My opinion of Jonathan Jones’ acumen as a critic has not improved since his Terry Pratchett meltdown.

12 Likes

I kind of like it, too :person_shrugging:

5 Likes

No more gender dogma? So little boys will be able to wear dresses if they want? And girls can wear anything with pockets?

7 Likes

The first official portrait of King Charles III to be painted since his coronation has been unveiled

Technically the first official portrait of King Charles III to be COMPLETED since his coronation has been unveiled.
Saw an interview with the artist who made it clear it was started when Charles was still just Prince - some comment along the lines of ‘when your sitter becomes King halfway through’.

4 Likes

I still think it’s more Night Gallery-esque.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I love it. It’s like a fading old man disintegrating into a field of blood and gore (or is it flowers), his formal militaristic clothing becoming indistinguishable from the carnage… the butterfly crawling over a red mist… often seen as a reminder of mortality and also a pun on his decrepit title. His clothes and body fade into the gentle vaguely soft horror, like he’s been literally carved out of a placenta and really… who hasn’t been? Remember, kings, you too are mortal.

I dunno, it’s a legitimately good painting that’s all I’m saying. It’s formulaic and gimmicky but in this case for me it works.

8 Likes

It reminds me a bit of Vaughn Bodē art, with dying soldiers burping butterflies.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I agree. When I first saw it, I thought of “The Night Gallery.” But then, I always dug the cool paintings in that show. Beyond that, it really is a nice likeness of Charles’ face, and it makes him look wise and compassionate, with a touch of humor … all things that he’s not particularly known for, but qualities most people value. I wonder if there would be such a kerfuffle if the artist had gone with an overall blue or blue-purple palette.

1 Like

It’s a painting of a person who represents a lot of things to a lot of people, good and ill. There was always going to be a kerfuffle.

2 Likes

“Clear away that dead butler, will you.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.