New footage from Mars rendered in stunning 4K resolution

It was a good choice on your part :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I promise you… I didn’t know Nimoy well, but I knew him well enough over my 4-5 years working with him. He was no dummy.

1 Like

Absolutely no dummy, I’m just restating something he himself said in an interview. I imagine he eventually acquired a fair bit of knowledge just from doing all those science shows even if he never got the formal education.

3 Likes

I spent a week down at El Paso last year (including a jaunt up to White Sands … where I promptly got lost). It’s a beautiful area.

3 Likes

That thought hit me while looking at some earlier high-res images of the Martian landscape: “This looks like it could be part of a Terrestrial desert where over that hill there might be a highway, a tiny, isolated town, or even a lonely McDonald’s, but on Mars there are no such things. I am alone, a very long way from home.”

1 Like

Dibs on Santa Maria Crater. I’m gonna build my vacation cabin right where Curiosity stopped to pan for that mosaic. What a view!

1 Like

The blue sky is real. Raleigh scattering is Rayleigh scattering, even on other planets. Any world with an atmosphere would have a blue sky, at least above its clouds.

3 Likes

The shot of Rub Al Khali gives a great sense of the scale of the terrain and distance travelled by the rover.

I liked Sulphur Bearing Unit’s early work, before they went mainstream.

1 Like

Same here. I had at several points to riming myself that, those dunes, those rocks, clifs and valleys, those mountains in the distance, that sky, is nowhere on earth, that all of this is on an alien planet, on a different world. Its amazing and humbling.

2 Likes

Here I am, a human being, looking at the high res result of an amazing amount of scientific/human achievement. I have been given the opportunity to see what it looks like on the surface of another planet!!!

I’m sorry I don’t have it within me to bitch about the soundtrack. If the background music was a mashup of banjo and bagpipes and the voice over was Gilbert Gottfried I would simply turn the audio down and watch in stunned silence.

1 Like

In a few years when they are teaching our kids that the world is flat and we faked all our trips to other planets, we’re gonna wish we had saved the money and just gone to Atacama Desert, Chile.

2 Likes

Turn it down? I would buy that…

1 Like

Did… did you mean… Attenborough?

2 Likes

Did anybody else catch the narrator saying 2 Megabytes while the captioning said 2 Megabits? Big difference there.

Makes sense. I guess the red dust doesn’t always overwhelm it.

Sadly, Mars looks like Afghanistan.

Ooohh…space poppies! I choose not to choose life, I choose Martian heroin!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.