Listen to the first audio recording of Mars (and see new video of the Perseverance rover landing)

Originally published at: Listen to the first audio recording of Mars (and see new video of the Perseverance rover landing) | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I have never been so excited to hear a gust of wind. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

That video footage is amazing. I was spellbound watching it. Mars. Awesome!

p.s. Thanks for yet more distractions from work, BoingBoing (See Sgt Peppers photo collage story).

8 Likes

Part of me was hoping to see a tiny little puff of dust as the heat shield hit the ground.

I also heard the Wile E. Coyote falling sound effect in my head as I watched the heat shield drops below the lander.

Edit to add:

Context: See Wile E. Coyte. Source: Youtube clip of the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies Road Runner cartoon c11952-86, posted by Frogger2767 on 2011 04 02.

13 Likes

Needs more “Ulla ulla ulla ulla”; but really cool none the less. The sounds of Mars :dizzy_face: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Was my exact thought when I was nervous and gassy on my first date. I bet others have had that experience.

2 Likes

My experience with Kerbal Space Program is never that smooth

3 Likes

I listened three times, but no Dark Side of the Moon? Dang…

4 Likes

Hold for Room Tone

3 Likes

Just a spellbinding view. Really interesting to see the change in behaviour as the lander moved from parachute to rocket-powered-descent!

Also, pretty crazy that the purpose of the skycrane was to create less dust and damage to the landing zone. That’s still an awful lot of dust!

5 Likes

my husband says, “it sounds like Nevada.” lol

anyone decode the message in the pattern on the parachute yet? they basically said there is one…

2 Likes

Check out this 4K 360 degree video they just released, you can pan all the way around and look at the rover.

might have to get the vr helmet out…

11 Likes

Where’s that edgelord who was all Look! More black and white photos of rocks! in the first thread?

3 Likes

What a relief to know I wasn’t the only one…

1 Like

I saw John Glenn and Alan Shepard, I saw the moon landing, I’ve seen us go to comets and asteroids, and I’ve seen rovers landing on Mars. Not bad for one life.

6 Likes
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.