New Hampshire state Rep John Potucek kills Right to Repair bill: "cellphones are throwaways...just get a new one"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/26/r-derry.html

6 Likes

discovery-burnham-wrongest

I hope he gets voted out of office over this. What a shitty take…

40 Likes

Potucek’s characterization of $1,000 phones as “disposable” paints a picture of a man who is either totally out-of-touch with his constituents’ daily lives, or so beholden to his ideology and the corporate dark money that comes with it that he refuses to consider that reality.

Worse, he probably thinks they’re $2000 each.

40 Likes

Yup, some reps need reminding they’re throwaways, too. Just vote in a new one.

56 Likes

This is not conservative.

31 Likes

“Conservative” no longer means conserving things, it means pretty much just being a cruel asshole who embraces whatever “triggers” the liberals…

49 Likes

But… but… I thought all those lazy poors could afford health insurance if they just stopped buying all those throwaway cell phones :confused:

39 Likes

“I used to own a small business. Now I just focus on owning liberals”

22 Likes

Which bin should he go in, or is it a trip to the recycling depot?

11 Likes

Toxic waste is usually non-recyclable.

22 Likes

Recycling is for libs.

Real men just dump their trash in the ocean.

16 Likes

Probably a depot trip then. They also handle disposing of the old nasty stuff like him.

e.g. the wax block in the garage impregnated with some weed killer not legal in this century, and probably part of the last. (I didn’t take it last trip because I didn’t want something that smelled funny in the same car as the rusty but not empty propane tank.)

6 Likes

It’s worse than that before the administration of the Very Stable Genius. Obama was giving them free phones, and they were still throwing away their money. Moral hazard!

14 Likes

Fuckwit’s gonna fuckwit. Let’s hope he drops his phone and smashes the screen on a weekly basis from now on.

(Also @doctorow this sentence does not parse. Did you mean ‘tell’ instead of ‘take’?)

…monopolists like Apple and Samsung will get to take New Hampshire’s small business people whether and when they can repair property belonging to the people of New Hampshire.

4 Likes

Yes, let’s add to the rapidly increasing problem of discarded electronics.

33 Likes

Thank you. This picture and thousands more like it.

13 Likes

I’ll give him credit for saying “in the near future” as some attempt at a qualifier, but this is still purely the perspective of a rich person. For rich people, phones, cars, houses, etc. are status symbols, and it’s not only feasible but desirable to toss aside the old, unfashionable ones in favor of the latest thing. For people who actually use these possessions to survive and live their lives, it’s a very different story.

8 Likes

State representatives are throwaways…just get a new one.

13 Likes

I was going to make a snarky reply about burying the asshole in an e-waste dump when he dies, but I realized that would only make the problem even worse.

What a clueless asshole Potucek is.

10 Likes

He represents the “fuck you got mine” party.

17 Likes