New Hampshire state Rep John Potucek kills Right to Repair bill: "cellphones are throwaways...just get a new one"

Ugghh! Derry. The whole town is filled with “F*** You I Got Mine” types. It’s a mixture of old-fashioned penny-wise pound foolish Republicans common to New England and hateful racist refugees from ethnically diverse Massachusetts just over the state border to the south.

8 Likes

Let’s throw him into lake Winnipesaukee.

1 Like

Rationale leveraging off of ‘fiduciary responsibility’ can get cellphone makers only so far; in the meantime, stockholders will just have to live with planned obsolescence and RtR bills being killed. The dream of designed to be slippery, hard-to-grip, easily dropped cellphones must remain just that. A dream.

1 Like

Pretty much describes

2 Likes

Christ, what an…

has a long record of being on the wrong side of the right issues, opposing legislation to increase the state minimum wage, against greenhouse gas reduction measures, against rail expansions, against solar energy, against investigating sexual harassment in the legislature, against funding job training, against rules prohibiting discrimination in public schools, against a death penalty repeal, against providing tampons and napkins in public schools, against banning carcinogenic flame-retardants in carpets and furniture, against recreational marijuana, against allowing undocumented people to obtain driving licenses, against stiffer penalties for dog-fighting, against state medical and family leave, against diaper-changing stations in public washrooms and against the repeal of voter ID laws.

…asshole.

9 Likes

But if it passes in Massachusetts, there will be a business opportunity for repair shops to set up on the state line.

4 Likes

Time to smash his cellphone every fucking day. See him at a Restaurant? Office? Parking lot? Massage parlor? Right to Repair TO THE GROUND

6 Likes

The US seems to have an above average proportion of ass-clowns holding elected office - for chrissake.

“The US seems to have an above average proportion of ass-clowns holding elected office - for chrissake.”

It is “representative” government, after all.

5 Likes

Sadly, data does corroborate this.

12 Likes

Literally toxic Toxic Masculinity.

15 Likes

I’ve always mis-remembered Steinbeck as having written “There’s no ‘away’ to throw things to.”

The full and correct thought goes:

“American cities are like badger holes, ringed with trash – all of them – surrounded by piles of wrecked and rusting automobiles, and almost smothered with rubbish. Everything we use comes in boxes, cartons, bins, the so-called packaging we love so much. The mountains of things we throw away are much greater than the things we use. In this, if no other way, we can see the wild an reckless exuberance of our production, and waste seems to be the index. Driving along I thought how in France or Italy every item of these thrown-out things would have been saved and used for something. This is not said in criticism of one system or the other but I do wonder whether there will come a time when we can no longer afford our wastefulness – chemical wastes in the rivers, metal wastes everywhere, and atomic wastes buried deep in the earth or sunk in the sea. When an Indian village became too deep in its own filth, the inhabitants moved. And we have no place to which to move.”
(Travels with Charley 1962)

12 Likes

Compostables.

1 Like

IOW, he is a now-mainstream Republican. Didn’t see a mention of general science denial, but based on the other positions mentioned, it has to be in there.

4 Likes

Here’s the thing I don’t get about conservatives hating on ‘the right to repair’. Trump and his supporters keep pushing anti-China sentiments and a nationalist tone but then within the same breath slam the idea of people repairing their own electronics. If they were really nationalist, you’d think they would be excited about that idea of folks being less dependant on buying stuff made in Shenzhen if people can make those small repairs on their own or at a locally owned repair shop.

6 Likes

It goes against the holy writ of constant economic growth, which requires corporations to build in obsolescence in order to sell-sell-sell. There’s also the usual right-wing appeal to anti-intellectualism that portrays anyone who can repair or mod electronics as educated (and therefore suspect) nerds.

7 Likes

If this person thinks a thousand dollar appliance is disposable, they are making too much money,
or are compromised by bribery.
Either way.
Remove them from office, they no longer represent their constituency.

4 Likes

The answer to the problem?

2 Likes

I am not dismissing the issues around electronics waste disposal, that’s a separate issue beyond what pisses me off about “right to repair” being shot down.

It’s mine. I bought it. I should get to fix it on my own!!! This is the case for a phone, a car, a computer, a TV…at what point does some contractor/developer decide to put stipulations around when you purchase a home from them that you MUST have any future repairs on your home done by them only. It’s only a matter of time.

I’m getting tired of buying things and someone someone doesn’t want to recognize that it’s mine now!

4 Likes

It’s odd since the guy is old enough to probably remember TV repair shops (my grandpa had one). Some how today repairing things is considering unmanly is just… odd to me.

3 Likes