New Hampshire state Rep John Potucek kills Right to Repair bill: "cellphones are throwaways...just get a new one"

Send him your dead electronics in the mail.

3 Likes

If you live somewhere with an HOA, you already have restrictions on what you can do with your home. It’s why I hate HOA’s. It’s my home. I bought it. I own it. Why can’t I do what I want with it, within the bounds of restrictions for public health and safety, of course. You’re right, it won’t be long before some HOA stipulates that roof repairs must be done by ABC Roofing, and here’s a list of 5 authorized plumbing and electrical contractors.

4 Likes

Yeah I had thought the same thing.

Lots of people in his generation were “fix it up, wear it out, make it do or go without” (our house runs on this motto) and so my guess was “sheesh he must really really be in the thrall of, in the pocket of corporate interest groups.”

Who knows? May have some weird personal issues with people who fix things, or self-motivated people, etc.

2 Likes

I remember traveling from the U.S. to other specific countries where certain specified pieces of tech were not allowed in (by order of the U.S. government). This was in the 1990s, and the tech I am referring to included some children’s toys [first sold in the U.S.] and not cellphones, smartphones, etc. When I did ask about these signs posted at the ticket counters, I was told it had to do as much with intellectual property as having to do with other potentially nefarious uses of some computer chips etc.

So my guess re part of the “it’s mine now” issue, which I agree with you about, is the problem of intellectual property (IP), which is entombed in whatever physical object you purchased.

It probably qualifies as a dang miracle that we are allowed to take our smartphones out of the U.S. at all, but for the fact that the Chinese have been making them for so long, it’s probably generally agreed that they’ve been pwning the IP for those things long enough that there’s no point in restricting the movements of these portable, often mission-critical devices. Oh and for the boundless surveillance opportunities.

I can only imagine Rep. Potucek’s take on repairing IP-protected John Deere tractors.1

1. No idea if Potucek is even tracking the issue. I looked up New Hampshire's economy

New Hampshire - Wikipedia

agriculture and farming didn’t feature in or were deemed too insignificant perhaps to be worth mentioning. Maybe they have poor soil in their small land area. NH is “The Granite State.” Corn requires tillage, and apart from hay (also listed) it’s the notable tillage crop mentioned here:

eta grammar

1 Like

Tempting to look at his marriage history, but no.

i.e. Apple, who wants their consumer class to dispose/trade in the items every three or so years.

Apple, who charges a $150 vintage-device tax before repairing and fights right to repair at every turn. Blessings on every shade-tree electronics repairman doing business in our corrupted economy. I’ll give up my obsolete Classic when they pry my cold dead fingers from it, but otherwise? FYHE.

If this keeps up, please call this old Dixie broad so we all can visit the dealerships to drum up a general strike against Congresscritters, their cars, fridges, cells, and gaming devices, and get petitions signed to have Congressional wages cut to $2.13/hour. All the filibustering in the world won’t get them out of waitress wages.

Any takers, troublemakers?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.