New Helvetica

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/10/helvetica-new-typeface-redesi.html

1 Like

MyFonts has the Black style of Helvetica Now available as a free download.

3 Likes
3 Likes

The headline is wrong unless it’s trying to be clever. Even if that’s the case, then the first link is wrong. The new typeface is named Helvetica Now, not Helvetica New.

8 Likes

Excellent, now can we please have 31 ?

8 Likes

If you want anything from a Helvetica derivative except conspicuous mediocrity, what you really want is Univers.

9 Likes

Still isn’t Haas Unica though

1 Like

this is the typeface equivalent of making a live-action Aladdin. WHYYYYYYYYY

5 Likes

Um, I’ll stick to Helvetica Neue for now, thanks. Not enough there to warrant buying it, and thank the gods I am no longer working for ad agencies or designing stuff beyond UI.

For the exact same reason: profits!

3 Likes

While I appreciate the work that went into creating a zillion weights and styles and alternates for Helvetica, it’s just too retro-utilitarian to be used as a workhorse font, except for situations in which you want to say “We’re so cool, we’re old, we’re retro, we’re hip… we’re Helvetica-cool.”

The new Helveticas are things like Avenir, Open Sans, and Gotham.

6 Likes

Dead2

4 Likes

Because, of course, Univers is not a Helvetica derivative.

3 Likes

Did boingboing stop allowing us to post images?? I really need to post this:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/NeglectedFatalBullmastiff-size_restricted.gif

Edit: I figured it out but see what I mean. This icon used to be in the row at the top right?

1 Like

Try removing the “thumbs.” at the beginning of the URL

3 Likes

This was the only thing going through my mind as well as soon as I thought of The Helvetica Scenario.
5 Likes

Originally designed in 1988 by Adrian Frutiger, who also gave us Univers.

1 Like

My dyslexic ass likes serifed monospaced fonts with stroked zeroes best.

3 Likes

Headline is perfectly accurate. Now you can get Helvetica Now, a new Helvetica that is not Neue Helvetica.

1 Like