New Helvetica

untitled

2 Likes

Yes, the headline is valid, and the first link (which used to read Helvetica New) has been updated to the correct name of Helvetica Now.

1 Like

Why would someone make a new Helvetica but not bother differentiating uppercase i and lowercase L?

6 Likes

TOO LATE

“Elizabeth Goodspeed, a graphic designer who works at the branding agency RoAndCo, believes that for many consumers, ’70s-esque fonts represent a safe retreat into the past — a safer retreat, importantly, than the one currently offered by midcentury Swiss Style, which inspired all of those minimalist startup logos with its grid layouts and sans serif fonts. “It doesn’t seem surprising that when people [today] are trying to find something comforting, we don’t want something that feels Swiss, which can bleed into fascism.”

1 Like

I’m holding out for Helvetica Neue Now LT

1 Like

If you want Helveticool then you need Chalet (not new but still capable of puncturing a balloon)

1 Like

Oh boy, Chalet. Fantastic font with lots of stylish variations. I used that font to death as the go-to font for a startup I worked with for many years, using it on all ads, print work, websites, logos, etc, and now I have a weird form of font-ptsd when I go to use it.

2 Likes

Franklin Gothic is the better helvetica

4 Likes

Yeah, I always like a typeface that reminds me of Gerald Ford and wide lapels.

I know! Hideous, isn’t it. I shared it with another friend who described 70’s typefaces as having a whiff of satanism about them.

I dunno if I’m ready for a retro-70s wave, but I am A-OK with weird stylish funk making a comeback.

1 Like

It was, in its way, a weird, weird, time.

1 Like

And cars that aren’t silver white or red.

1 Like

Happy to find a reason to reshare this

5 Likes

2oz90j

3 Likes

If you want anything from a Helvetica derivative except conspicuous mediocrity, what you really want is Univers.

That is definitely the sickest burn I’ve heard this side of design school graduation.

I personally think Avenir is superior to Univers for most applications, though.

5 Likes

Indeed – those unaware of the history might be amused to learn not only that both are derivatives of Akzidenz-Grotesk, but they and a third derivative, Folio, all were developed competitively by three foundries and released in the same year.

Imagine being a normie, in an age before the internet-fueled obsession with the small differences between things, clasping eyes on three nearly identical things and being told that these are the typographic Ford, GM and Chrysler of 1957.

Helvetica was the “casual” one, Univers the “cool” one, and Folio the “business” one.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.