New Hugo Award categories for puppies

[Permalink]

9 Likes

Sad Puppies reminds me too much of this song. Somebody who can sing should version this!

8 Likes

I’d forgotten about that song - now the two will be linked for me as well. Thank you for that.

1 Like

Such affairs remind me of amphibians.
Or, how can so big noise fit into a so little frog.

9 Likes

These are so funny, but I don’t imagine the recipients agree.

1 Like

For a moment, I thought they were announcing a Hugo Award for actual puppies, and now I’m exceedingly sad.

12 Likes

I misread it as a puppy for Hugo.

11 Likes

Thank you. I’ve been trying to figure out a theme for my Sasquan fan table. #NewHugoCategories it is.

Anybody got a good source for puppy dolls and sustainably-harvested eyeliner?

Maybe they should just call it the Heinlen Award.

1 Like

Yeah…time traveling transexual, gay characters in positive light, open sexuality outside of marriage. Yeah…he was a real hardcore conservative—one entire book was based on a MtF transsexual.

13 Likes

Oh no! You posted a link called “Dead Puppies!”
Now Beale & Torgesen can say they’ve gotten death threats! They’ll get their Conservative Martyr Minute on Fox yet.

4 Likes

wow, 6 hours since the original post and no brand new boingboing members have joined up to tell us how messed up we are and how it’s really all about ethics in science fiction awards.

27 Likes

Whether you agree with his politics or not, he was never a vicious, vindictive little shit like these people are.
For perspective, here’s what Philip K Dick had to say about Heinlein:
“Several years ago, when I was ill, Heinlein offered his help, anything he could do, and we had never met; he would phone me to cheer me up and see how I was doing. He wanted to buy me an electric typewriter, God bless him—one of the few true gentlemen in this world. I don’t agree with any ideas he puts forth in his writing, but that is neither here nor there. One time when I owed the IRS a lot of money and couldn’t raise it, Heinlein loaned the money to me. I think a great deal of him and his wife; I dedicated a book to them in appreciation. Robert Heinlein is a fine-looking man, very impressive and very military in stance; you can tell he has a military background, even to the haircut. He knows I’m a flipped-out freak and still he helped me and my wife when we were in trouble. That is the best in humanity, there; that is who and what I love.”

Campbell would be closer to the mark, but, inveterate racist that he was, he never attained the levels of vindictiveness that some of these “puppies” do. (and he already has an award named after him, anyway.)

26 Likes

More like the Card award.

5 Likes

I wonder if it’s worth opening a thread on “speculative” transsexualism in early SF. I recall that Gregory Benford put the option in in his Galactic Center novels.

Have you actually read anything by Heinlein, or just heard about him?

It’s true that Puppy types tend to idolize him, but that’s mostly because they’re stupid. Be smarter than them.

8 Likes

How about an award for worst description of Sad Puppies? Your description is bullshit, and I’m pretty sure you know it.

4 Likes

Their “movement” was dead before it started, so far as I am concerned!

1 Like

I had never heard of sad puppies until today. After reading about it on Togersen and Beale’s websites I would say that Cory’s description is pretty much spot on. This is not meant as hyperbole and is probably some form of Godwin’s Law, but I do not see much distance between the philosophy of ISIS and Beale’s writings. Genuinely scary.

Their campaign is also clearly against the spirit of the nomination process even if not against the rules per se. I suggest Hugo opens it up to everyone in an open, online nomination process. I would certainly vote for my favorites each year. I rely on the Hugo nomination lists to find good reads. This puppies crap is, well, crap.

12 Likes

14 Likes