New Hugo Award categories for puppies

Yep. Totes.

26 Likes

I cant have enough fun with the #NewHugoCategories hashtag, first time I find Twitter useful for something.

I’m literally flooding it with rancid tropes. :joy:

3 Likes

Off the top of my head: Theodore Sturgeon’s Venus Plus X, John Varley’s Eight Worlds stories, Iain M Banks’ Culture books, Joanna Russ’ The Female Man, Charles Stross’ Glasshouse, and probably something really obvious that I’ll only think of after clicking the Reply button.

Edit: Ursula LeGuin’s The Left Hand of Darkness, tch.

3 Likes

Cory, are you deliberately or accidentally conflating the Sad Puppies with the Rabid Puppies? From what I’ve read, it seems that the former are misguided and it is the latter who are malicious.

They are, however, separate groups with aims and methods that appear to be only superficially similar.

I disagree with the Sad Puppies, certainly; but I think that to equate them to Vox Day’s SF Tea-Party ideology is unfair.

1 Like

My take on it, (and I’m satirising both positions):

The Sad Puppies are conservative, like ‘wasn’t it better in the good old days when us white men didn’t have to worry what other people thought so much?’ The Rabid Puppies are conservative, like, ‘Blacks and women are not capable of the feats of intellectual prowess that white males can perform; therefore they should be owned.’

1 Like

Eh, they’re all in the same bed together, and share the same fleas. The Sad Puppies were happy enough with VD’s joining their scheme to win Correia a Hugo by vote-rigging, until they realised that he’d taken over and meant to destroy the award. They’ve been trying to step back from the support they earlier expressed, but softly, as you would when you realise that you’re trapped in an elevator with a loony.

15 Likes

It’s kind of a shame, that the Hugos are getting wrecked - the original idea of having the open to anyone who pays model is to avoid having a “cool kids” clique rewarding their friends - something too many geeks are all too familiar with from our childhood. It worked for a very long time, actually. As a statement of the utopian promise of humanity, where we could learn to get along and respect each other, it was a quiet success.

Unfortunately, due to the ability of the Internet to take ideas and turn them into Movements, a lot of formerly open, trust based activities have become impossible to maintain. This is not always a bad thing - Obama became President because he embraced the Internet early, and well, creating a pretty horizontally organized campaign structure compared to the politics of old.

Our culture is changing, and I find it hilarious that the people most afraid of change are sabotaging an artifact of that optimistic sci-fi of the past by using the most modern of social constructs, the Internet Movement.

9 Likes

You shouldn’t believe VD’s rhetoric. Like the GGs, after the initial flush of enthusiasm, the Puppies will become part of the background noise. Day is only one man, and by his account award-destroying is just a hobby, anyway. Fandom will outlive him, at the very worst.

It’s quite deliberate, Cory’s too smart to have mistaken them for the same group. He’s just smearing because lots of people won’t read any further and will assume the SPs are Nazis too.

2 Likes

You, uh… You know he’s not a journalist, right? And that there are generally no journalists here?

Actually, it’s all about ethics in wonderful-things blogging.

16 Likes

i refer you to the cartoon posted above by thebarton_gamer which covers your objection pretty effectively

5 Likes

Credere, obbedire, combattere.

1 Like

Drinking Sapphire Wine, by Tanith Lee (and the rest of the Four BEE series)
Charles Sheffield’s Proteus books

Which is a funny representation, granted, but also totally misleading. I refer you to George RR Martin’s blog about it, which I linked to. I admit it’s not as snappy or entertaining, so sorry about that.

And the award for Most Obscure Godwin’s goes to… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This has been posted at least three times already in this thread, and addresses this:
http://www.philipsandifer.com/2015/04/guided-by-beauty-of-their-weapons.html

5 Likes

This has been posted at least three times already in this thread, and addresses this:http://www.philipsandifer.com/2015/04/guided-by-beauty-of-their-weapons.html

Un riferimento al Fascismo Italiano non è un Godwin!

Non tutti i bastardi fascisti sono nazisti, anche se sono ancora stronzi.

4 Likes

Is there a Cliff’s Notes version of that novel?

There’s a lot to cover. The cliffs notes of the part thats relevant to the people claiming the Sad Puppies have nothing to do with Theodore Beale is, essentially, no, the Sad Puppies are intimately connected with the Rabid Puppies, have been coordinating their actions from the beginning (this time around, anyway), and have done very little to repudiate Vox Day.

4 Likes